Discuss Exposed copper wire under the floorboards after rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it was a full rewire…. Why was there wallpaper over that patched wall?

It just looks very DIY with filler like that around the socket.
I was going to suggest to check that wasn’t a spur from a spur or something silly, but then I realised which thread this was.

Full (?) rewire?

Still want to see what the consumer unit looks like.

Take Tel up on his offer… he will be able to tell walking into the place whether it’s been a good job or not… no need to dismantle anything really.

For a decent plaster finish the cable should be about 5mm beneath the surface of the wall. Then filled up with filler ready for the thin plaster top finish

That cable is too proud and will need chopping in a bit more
Thank you for your response. This gives me a little more confidence. The chasing in on the walls is generally a bit better than in this image and I did see the wires which all appeared intact. There are more junctions which have bare metal wire, I will get images later.
I need to consider my options carefully. I am not out to destroy anybody's reputation and I would prefer to leave my house as intact as possible. Any advice on how to move forward would be greatly appreciated
If it was a full rewire…. Why was there wallpaper over that patched wall?

It just looks very DIY with filler like that around the socket.
I was going to suggest to check that wasn’t a spur from a spur or something silly, but then I realised which thread this was.

Full (?) rewire?

Still want to see what the consumer unit looks like.

Take Tel up on his offer… he will be able to tell walking into the place whether it’s been a good job or not… no need to dismantle anything really.
Thank you so much. I have attached images of the consumer unit. What I have not explained so far is that the main contractor left his son and an apprentice on the job. His son assured me he was qualified/experienced and I trusted what he said. I am not out to damage anybody's reputation but just want as much fact as possible before taking the next step. I will get Tel to look over it and give me a second opinion. I am hoping it is not as bad as it appears and can be rectified without tearing my house apart again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_143257_298.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20220121_143308_585.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 123
Now I will throw my hat in the the ring.
1) was it a recommendation.
2) was the firm Napit or other.
3) Did you pay for a contract.
5) was a deposit paid.
Me has above get independent spark in
EICR see what is says, tell the company
You going to pay them to sort out the bad workand see them in court. And inform traders in standed.

Worth noting that even if you post a very good standard of work on this forum its going to get some criticism.

That said, that doesn't look like a very good standard of work at all from any of the photo's so far, it'll be interesting to see what actions, if any, the scheme takes.

Worth noting that even if you post a very good standard of work on this forum its going to get some criticism.

That said, that doesn't look like a very good standard of work at all from any of the photo's so far, it'll be interesting to see what actions, if any, the scheme takes.

A lashed joint like that with all the cores hanging out has never been acceptable , even rough old electricians would have wrapped it in some tape

What makes it worse is the OP hired an 'electrician' to do the re-wire and this is the dogs breakfast they got.

I could understand the mess if they hired a builder or plumber to do the re-wire but not from a trained electrician.

This industry especially the domestic sector has gone to the dogs and the rough work I see on a regular basis done by so called cps sparks is terrifying.
I even saw a bypassed rcd the other day done by a so called cps sparks. This has to be an all time low for the industry.

I have tried reporting these imposters to the scams in the past but nothing ever happens and the homeowner just ends up paying me or someone else to re-do the work.

Shame

What makes it worse is the OP hired an 'electrician' to do the re-wire and this is the dogs breakfast they got.

I could understand the mess if they hired a builder or plumber to do the re-wire but not from a trained electrician.

This industry especially the domestic sector has gone to the dogs and the rough work I see on a regular basis done by so called cps sparks is terrifying.
I even saw a bypassed rcd the other day done by a so called cps sparks. This has to be an all time low for the industry.

I have tried reporting these imposters to the scams in the past but nothing ever happens and the homeowner just ends up paying me or someone else to re-do the work.

Shame

I'm inclined to agree but, no matter what sort of training this 'electrician' undertook, they'll have known full well that such work is unacceptable.

A close up if the bottom of the consumer unit would also be interesting, to see what sort of a gland or grommet they have used - hopefully it is not cables resting on the sharp edge of the metal.
That was also my though. If the exposed joints are typical of the "workmanship" then a lack of proper cable protection/support is not going to surprise me :(

Reply to Exposed copper wire under the floorboards after rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net