Discuss Exposed copper wire under the floorboards after rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The first part of the complaints process is to approach this contractor with what you have found to seek a resolution however I wouldn't want them anywhere near my electrics as what they have done is disgraceful. If no success approach the NICEIC with the evidence however the work is so bad they may address this without you approaching the contractor.

For the time being, DO NOT PAY THE BILL.

I have a horrible feeling that when we see the rest of the pictures the advice may well be to involve trading standards.
If they are a member of a scheme then there should be some redress available from them.

We await your next batch of pictures and hope that it is not as bad as i fear it may be.
Thank you - worryingly they left my job to start another 'full rewire' on another property bigger than mine, so they claimed.

The first part of the complaints process is to approach this contractor with what you have found to seek a resolution however I wouldn't want them anywhere near my electrics as what they have done is disgraceful. If no success approach the NICEIC with the evidence however the work is so bad they may address this without you approaching the contractor.
Thank you, this is really helpful. After receiving the invoice this evening - I paid 50% deposit upfront unfortunately - I sent them the image and a list of other concerns, they have not responded as yet.

Thank you for your response. I believe the main contractor is a member of NICEIC

Have you checked on the NICEIC website that they are actually a member? Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that claim to be part of especially NICEIC as its the most recognised competent persons scheme however they are not.. If they are not then you could be in a world of pain and I would involve trading standards..

Really gets my goat when scam vetted electricians do this kind of work on people homes. I am seeing more and more sh!t work these days done by so called cpc scam vetted installers.

In the last 6 months alone I have ripped out 2 almost new boards which were fitted by scam registered electricians as the workmanship was so bad it was easier to rip the crap out and start again

Rant Over

Have you checked on the NICEIC website that they are actually a member? Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that claim to be part of especially NICEIC as its the most recognised competent persons scheme however they are not.. If they are not then you could be in a world of pain and I would involve trading standards..
I'm now unsure whether the contractor is NICEIC registered, the reason I chose him was because he seemed knowledgeable and told me I would be issued with an electrical safety certificate stating the house had undergone a full rewire. Can I ask you, what makes a contractor eligible to issue electrical safety certificates and are these logged with Building Control, or some other body once issued? Thanks in advance

He states on his advertising 'We are fully 18th Edition compliant and test & Inspection qualified.'

Can I ask you, what makes a contractor eligible to issue electrical safety certificates
This comes as a surprise to many, but no qualification is required to issue a certificate, only requirement is that the person is deemed to be "skilled". The correct term is Electrical Installation Certificate by the way.
(If you receive one saying Electrical Installation Condition Report then that is used when inspecting an installation, and should not be used for work just undertaken)
and are these logged with Building Control, or some other body once issued? Thanks in advance
Certain works need to be notified to building control. These include changing a consumer unit and installing a new circuit. A rewire is most definitely in this territory. This is completely a separate to certification, the contractor must belong to a CPS (like NICEIC or Napit) and the scheme has a way for them to notify building control about the work. The building control people don't get to see the electrical installation certificate.

I'm now unsure whether the contractor is NICEIC registered
You can check for membership of all the CPS schemes in one go here:

Finding out whether the contractor is in one or not is quite an important first step.

Apart from shockingly bad workmanship, I smell a rat, here. If you’ve yet to start the redecorating then I wouldn’t - I’ve a suspicion that any electrical inspector will find a catalogue of errors in what they’ve done. As to the advertising description, 18th edition and testing qualified, that just smacks of what we often refer to on here as a short course wonder - someone who has undertaken the minimum amount of desk based training possible in the belief that it gives them the experience to claim they’re an electrician. Certainly don’t pay any more money, get a genuine known reputable electrician to take a look over it (there are many on here in your area) and go from there. If they ARE a member of an accredited scheme (NICEIC, Napit, others) then register a complaint with the scheme and if they’re not then use Trading Standards.

get a genuine known reputable electrician to take a look over it

But don't rectify it, or you might lose your opportunity of redress. They can test to make sure you are not in immediate danger through lack of earthing etc.

For the time being, DO NOT PAY THE BILL.

I have a horrible feeling that when we see the rest of the pictures the advice may well be to involve trading standards.
If they are a member of a scheme then there should be some redress available from them.
If they are falsely claiming to be NICEIC registered, the NICEIC would be the ones to contact.......they don't consider 'taking their name in vain' a minor issue, especially with such blatant evidence so easily available.

Can we get more photos?

A picture of the consumer unit showing the circuit breakers will give us a good idea.

You said they left to start another job…. Was your job complete at this time?

There are a few members of the forum near Liverpool that could give it a quick once- over to help catalogue any issues.

I'd be happy to visit and assess the installation for you, then advise on the best way forward.meanwhile, as others have said. don'tpay them anymore money until the installation has been independently checked. This would probablycostyou around £100 - £150, but that could be negotiated from the balance, alongwith the costs for remedial works if you don't want them back.

I'd be happy to visit and assess the installation for you, then advise on the best way forward.meanwhile, as others have said. don'tpay them anymore money until the installation has been independently checked. This would probablycostyou around £100 - £150, but that could be negotiated from the balance, alongwith the costs for remedial works if you don't want them back.
Thank you so much. I may call upon you however I have just spoken to the professional body who he is a member of and they have advised me not to let anybody touch it at this stage in case he offloads responsibility. They have advised I now make a formal complaint, which I am about to do. However, I keep discovering more suspect work and will upload more images today. Can you advise if you think I am going to have to have the whole lot redone?

Stripping wallpaper in my kitchen today in preparation for plastering, I discovered this......

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_131225_200.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 127
Thank you so much. I may call upon you however I have just spoken to the professional body who he is a member of and they have advised me not to let anybody touch it at this stage in case he offloads responsibility. They have advised I now make a formal complaint, which I am about to do. However, I keep discovering more suspect work and will upload more images today. Can you advise if you think I am going to have to have the whole lot redone?

Stripping wallpaper in my kitchen today in preparation for plastering, I discovered this......
at first sight thatlooks OK>the cable is in line horizontally with the socket, and so it is compliant with prescribed zones. capping or tubing is advantageous in some ways, but not obligatory in a chase.

not to let anybody touch it at this stage

agreed, you can get it inspected, but at this stage, not altered.

at first sight thatlooks OK>the cable is in line horizontally with the socket, and so it is compliant with prescribed zones. capping or tubing is advantageous in some ways, but not obligatory in a chase.
Thank you very much for your help and advice. The wire is sitting proud of the wall plaster so will be sticking out of the wall after plastering - unless the plasterer puts a very thick layer of plaster onto the wall. I understood wires should be buried into the wall...? Also there appears to be another section of wire folded down over the main section with a nail in it, this also sticks out, is this ok to do?

Thank you very much for your help and advice. The wire is sitting proud of the wall plaster so will be sticking out of the wall after plastering - unless the plasterer puts a very thick layer of plaster onto the wall. I understood wires should be buried into the wall...? Also there appears to be another section of wire folded down over the main section with a nail in it, this also sticks out, is this ok to do?
For a decent plaster finish the cable should be about 5mm beneath the surface of the wall. Then filled up with filler ready for the thin plaster top finish

That cable is too proud and will need chopping in a bit more

Thank you for your response, they have just sent out their invoice....... I found other areas similar. Can I ask, does a full rewire have to be passed by Building Control? and would it be standard to request they come and look at the job if I have concerns? Thanks so much for your help.
You paid for a full rewire which means wire from point A to point B with no splices

Reply to Exposed copper wire under the floorboards after rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net