Discuss Extractor fan – Is a re-wire change to change timer duration? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

yep, friday night, well after beeer o'clock. too much info. chill. take a pill. have a dump and measure your fan's extraction rate. zebedee says time for bed.

if it's a bathroom with attic above, it's not a mega job to sort. just a cable or 2, a plumber with a half a brain could do it ( if you can find a plumber with half a brain that is.)

Extractor fan – Is a re-wire change to change timer duration?

Never seems timer fan that could be set to 0.

If you could it would be the same wiring, yes. You would still need a three core and earth cable.

Thank you for all the responses. I have a couple of final questions to help clarify my understanding 1) Can a fan with a timer be set to a time of 0 and 2) When installing a fan with a timer, is the wiring the same regardless of the timing being set to 0 or maximum. We are awaiting our certificates for the work. I will check on the matters raised by Toonlad in due course.

Usual minimum time on a timer fan is about 2 mins, recommended overrun time is 15 mins.

Once the wiring is in place for a timer then there is no difference in the wiring no matter how long you set the timer.

If the fan has its own isolator then the fan can be isolated and then switched on again and the fan will usually stop, handy for the midnight trips to the bathroom without waking any one up, but of course not regulatoraly recommended:smile5:!

Usual minimum time on a timer fan is about 2 mins, recommended overrun time is 15 mins.

Once the wiring is in place for a timer then there is no difference in the wiring no matter how long you set the timer.

If the fan has its own isolator then the fan can be isolated and then switched on again and the fan will usually stop, handy for the midnight trips to the bathroom without waking any one up, but of course not regulatoraly recommended:smile5:!

A good point is raised here, so to the OP, is a 3A fuse fitted and/or is there double pole isolation installed?

If its all tiled in and decorated etc and he only has 2 cores to the fan,perhaps he may be able to fit a transformer (with timer) and swap the fan for a 12 volt

I'd get in the loft and check that they have actually supplied a fan with timer and that their real problem isn't that they've fitted the wrong fan. If the cabling is accessible then the wiring they're talking about only involves a bit of 3+E cable. Be a bit odd for them to fit a fan + timer and not wire it for the timer to work.

If you haven't paid him I wouldn't until it's fixed. If they've fitted the wrong fan then you know that they've lied to you.

Reply to Extractor fan – Is a re-wire change to change timer duration? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net