Discuss flat rewire pricey or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nick Bundy recently started using oval conduit and talks about it as though this is some new invention - hateful stuff to pull two legs of 2.5 through, after the fact. On the average installation, round conduit and female bushes would add about 0.000001% to the overall cost and, considering the rates charged in parts of England, it amazes me that cables are capped or plastered with no regard given to future works.
It's all I've ever used in chases, in a long drop 2 x 2.5s can be tight in 20mm but 25mm makes it a doddle.

I use oval conduit and round band on chases regularly mostly as i got sick of hitting my finger with a hammer with capping and clout nails!
The property has high ceilings and cornice so wont be surface mounted; be strips and fishing for the lights and a plasterer to repair (not on my price).
£5.4k including new SWA from communal utility to consumer unit, its currently on 6mm T and E with 4mm main earth and no main protective bonding!

7 grand could be fully chased in , made good , rcbo board with spd , decent quality accessories and led lights etc

re-wires aren't everyones cup of tea and 7 grand may sound high but at least it leaves the spark a decent profit which is why we are in business.... is it not
I always go with SPD and RCBO boards on a full rewire, you can factor it in to price and still get plenty but CU changes i give 2 prices for RCBO and dual RCD both with SPD though.

In 25 years I have never yet seen anyone re-wire a conduit style flat back in using new singles , its always a case of trying to shove twin and earth down the pipe where you can then grind out what you cant use and cap in twin and earth

In 25 years I have never yet seen anyone re-wire a conduit style flat back in using new singles , its always a case of trying to shove twin and earth down the pipe where you can then grind out what you cant use and cap in twin and earth
We done some flats in North London(1930's), managed to rewire the whole lighting using the existing conduit. Some of the pulls were tight (fairy liquid on some lol).
The sockets etc were all done surface trunking.

How often do the conductors (in PVC) actually need replacing when in conduit? Usually it is external damage (UV, rodents, etc) that puts cable past it useful life, or the layout is so old that you need more things added where no conduit run originally.

For the skill, investment, tools and CPD required to be a good electrician, all rewires should be priced as above. My opinion is people should realise paying for such skill isn't cheap and stop complaining about highly qualified men 'trying to rip me off' because they charge what they're worth.

10000% THIS ^^^^

Just like me wife pays £85 for her hair cut , in and out in 45 mins but she is paying for the hairdressers experience and expertise

If a wet pants can charge you £150 per hour to fix a leaky ball cock then why shouldn't a qualified sparks charge £150 to change a light fitting

Reply to flat rewire pricey or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net