Discuss flat rewire pricey or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Called out to have a look at a failed EICR remedials quote earlier, down stairs 2 bed flat, lounge, kitchen dining room. needs a new swa from the communal utility room (same floor) and rewired tbf. Over £7k quoted to owner; someone either doesn't want the job or is very expensive. thoughts on pricing?

I'm normally £5-6k for occupied house rewire and £1k cheaper empty that's based on 3 beds, lounge, kitchen, dining room, utility and garage so £7k for a flat seems steep

Not my professional area, but whenever I have tackled smaller home jobs it is getting cables out/in that I hate most of all.

Old buildings never designed for electrics in the first place. New buildings with cable plastered in and assumption of major damage/redecorating to fix it :(

I read on this forum that it is the norm in NI to put in plastic conduit for plastered-in stuff so cables are theoretically replaceable later. That ought to be part of building standards!

7 grand could be fully chased in , made good , rcbo board with spd , decent quality accessories and led lights etc

re-wires aren't everyones cup of tea and 7 grand may sound high but at least it leaves the spark a decent profit which is why we are in business.... is it not

I read on this forum that it is the norm in NI to put in plastic conduit for plastered-in stuff so cables are theoretically replaceable later. That ought to be part of building standards!
it is, and nearly everyone does it. I've never came across capping in my working career, and I've only came across cables directly plastered into walls when it's butchered by a DIY artist. I actually thought it was the same across the water until I went to work in London a few years ago and got an eye opener.

it is, and nearly everyone does it. I've never came across capping in my working career, and I've only came across cables directly plastered into walls when it's butchered by a DIY artist. I actually thought it was the same across the water until I went to work in London a few years ago and got an eye opener.

Nick Bundy recently started using oval conduit and talks about it as though this is some new invention - hateful stuff to pull two legs of 2.5 through, after the fact. On the average installation, round conduit and female bushes would add about 0.000001% to the overall cost and, considering the rates charged in parts of England, it amazes me that cables are capped or plastered with no regard given to future works.

Nick Bundy recently started using oval conduit and talks about it as though this is some new invention - hateful stuff to pull two legs of 2.5 through, after the fact. On the average installation, round conduit and female bushes would add about 0.000001% to the overall cost and, considering the rates charged in parts of England, it amazes me that cables are capped or plastered with no regard given to future works.
It amazed me too the effort required to add a conduit is minimal and as you say leaves it available for future works

It amazed me too the effort required to add a conduit is minimal and as you say leaves it available for future works
I can see switch drops in conduit being useful, for when a client wants to add an extra switch to the point. Other than that, what are the benefits? I can't think of many, and could actually see it being a hindrance to future works. (My point of view, of course comes from working a particular way though, so may be blinkered.)

OP, £7K for a standard 2 flat rewire seems steep to me, I'd expect it to be a lot cheaper

I have done rewires in the past and used 20mm round pvc conduit and bushed it to the box , but in reality most of the conduits you would struggle to push another cable down it. So you would in 9 out of 10 cases need to chop in a new cable anyways.
If we started wiring houses in singles with conduit then it would make rewiring and alterations a doddle.

I can see switch drops in conduit being useful, for when a client wants to add an extra switch to the point. Other than that, what are the benefits? I can't think of many, and could actually see it being a hindrance to future works. (My point of view, of course comes from working a particular way though, so may be blinkered.)

OP, £7K for a standard 2 flat rewire seems steep to me, I'd expect it to be a lot cheaper
I think we are all just used to our own way of working

the advantage of oval conduit, egatube springs to mind as a brand name, is that it's shallow chasing depth. into plaster but not into brick,as you usually need for round 20mm tube. what i have done in the past is to make a 1" chase slightly wavy, so the oval tube wedges in without fixings.

I do a lot of kitchen refurbs, round conduit makes it easy to pull cables back out which quite often leaves enough length to take them to where they are needed without the need for a jb.

I do a lot of kitchen refurbs, round conduit makes it easy to pull cables back out which quite often leaves enough length to take them to where they are needed without the need for a jb.
Yes I can see the advantage of wiring kitchens in 20mm conduit , it allowed for appliances to be moved and cables pulled out without the need to mash off the tiles

Reply to flat rewire pricey or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net