Discuss Rewire Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been to see a flat which needs a rewire. The flat is being completely renovated. I've just recently qualified, I have done rewires before during my apprenticeship and understand it, but it is the first time taking one on on my own, I feel pretty confident as it is all partition walls which makes it easier. I have a few questions I was hoping you could help with:

Q1. How do you guys decide whether to install an RCD or RCBO board?
Do you pick based on the client/budget? I know an RCBO has the advantage of not wiping out half the place. So does it come down to price?

Q2. Type A or AC RCD/RCBO? I was going towards type A, I want to know what you guys think?

Q3. I am going to install smoke/heat detectors but what are the requirements? Which rooms need it? The kitchen I will put a heat of course! A smoke in the utility room and hallway. But is it necessary in the bedroom? Can anyone point me in the right direction where to find the info?

Q4. Heights for sockets and switches? I know the 450mm and 1200mm applies to mainly new builds. what heights would you recommend?

Q5. Dimmable LED strips with drivers. Can anyone recommend any good ones? Will I be able to put them on the same gang switch as the kitchen ceiling lights? They will be going under the kitchen units to light up the worktop. I've never bought any myself to install.

Q6. Are there any dimmer switches/modules which can work as master and slaves? The rewire specifies a 2 way intermediate in the bedroom and a 2 way in the kitchen/lounge.

Q7. Last but not least, the most famous question! How do you quote for the job? It is in central london. I have put £60 per socket/spur/switch, £50 for light/smoke/ex fan/appliances(mirror), £80 per hob point, £150 a grid switch (THEY ARE A NIGHTMARE IN MY OPINION). Is this too low? Do you guys price per point or hourly/daily?

What else do I need to know? Any other information would be appreciated.
I know I have to notify building control, I will get the tester to deal with this.
I have bought the building regs book its on its way, anything specific to read in there?

THANKS FOR ANY ANSWERS, HAVE A COOKIE ?

Not sure what you mean by the notifiable bit. Get the tester to sort that.
Are you not doing the testing and notification Yourself? Really if your doing the works maybe you should do the testing.

Youve bought the regs book. That’s good, but there is a lot more to this than the regs book. It will not tell you how to wire a flat.

Q1 it’s up to you. Your call. There are a few threads on here regarding rcbo or rcd. Personal preference.

Q2 Identify what an A type or AC type is for? And fit appropriate for the circuits in question.

Q3 there are no legal requirements to fit heat or smoke alarms in domestic premises. There are issues with rental domestic in so far as the landlord has a duty of care to protect there tenants, but nothing written in law.

Q4 I would recommend the 450 and 1200. they are good heights. It’s the hieghts I used in my own property, but it’s up to you and your client.

Q5 &Q6 speak to your supplier.

Q7 I work out the cost of material then work out how many days it will take. £300 per day plus materials plus an extra 10%, but this varies depending on your needs and the local area.

If I recall, Building regs require the installation of smoke alarm in a domestic properties, during major renovations, an example of which is a rewire. In any case, it would be madness for the client not to chose so.

Aico provide a simple planning online service, I’d also recommend fitting one of their control switches.

If you require two way dimmer switches, I believe Zano do something quite good.

Q7. Last but not least, the most famous question! How do you quote for the job? It is in central london. I have put £60 per socket/spur/switch, £50 for light/smoke/ex fan/appliances(mirror), £80 per hob point, £150 a grid switch (THEY ARE A NIGHTMARE IN MY OPINION). Is this too low? Do you guys price per point or hourly/daily?

too cheap esp. for London. unless those prices are for labour & cable., not inc.materials.

I've been to see a flat which needs a rewire. The flat is being completely renovated. I've just recently qualified, I have done rewires before during my apprenticeship and understand it, but it is the first time taking one on on my own, I feel pretty confident as it is all partition walls which makes it easier. I have a few questions I was hoping you could help with:

Q1. How do you guys decide whether to install an RCD or RCBO board?
Do you pick based on the client/budget? I know an RCBO has the advantage of not wiping out half the place. So does it come down to price?
RCBO every time
Q2. Type A or AC RCD/RCBO? I was going towards type A, I want to know what you guys think?
Type A unless AC is appropriate
Q3. I am going to install moke/heat detectors but what are the requirements? Which rooms need it? The kitchen I will put a heat of course! A smoke in the utility room and hallway. But is it necessary in the bedroom? Can anyone point me in the right direction where to find the info?
Read BS5839-6
Q4. Heights for sockets and switches? I know the 450mm and 1200mm applies to mainly new builds. what heights would you recommend?
Yep, we would as its a rewire
Q5. Dimmable LED strips with drivers. Can anyone recommend any good ones? Will I be able to put them on the same gang switch as the kitchen ceiling lights? They will be going under the kitchen units to light up the worktop. I've never bought any myself to install.
Zano, Varilight, Quinetic etc
Q6. Are there any dimmer switches/modules which can work as master and slaves? The rewire specifies a 2 way intermediate in the bedroom and a 2 way in the kitchen/lounge.
As above
I'd say your prices for central london are far too cheap
What else do I need to know? Any other information would be appreciated.
I know I have to notify building control, I will get the tester to deal with this.
I have bought the building regs book its on its way, anything specific to read in there?
What aren't you testing? If you have finished your apprenticeship you will have AM2/FICA etc so should be able to test?
THANKS FOR ANY ANSWERS, HAVE A CO

Not sure what you mean by the notifiable bit. Get the tester to sort that.
Are you not doing the testing and notification Yourself? Really if your doing the works maybe you should do the testing.

Youve bought the regs book. That’s good, but there is a lot more to this than the regs book. It will not tell you how to wire a flat.

Q1 it’s up to you. Your call. There are a few threads on here regarding rcbo or rcd. Personal preference.

Q2 Identify what an A type or AC type is for? And fit appropriate for the circuits in question.

Q3 there are no legal requirements to fit heat or smoke alarms in domestic premises. There are issues with rental domestic in so far as the landlord has a duty of care to protect there tenants, but nothing written in law.

Q4 I would recommend the 450 and 1200. they are good heights. It’s the hieghts I used in my own property, but it’s up to you and your client.

Q5 &Q6 speak to your supplier.

Q7 I work out the cost of material then work out how many days it will take. £300 per day plus materials plus an extra 10%, but this varies depending on your needs and the local area.
Hi, I am confident in the wiring of the flat there are just a few electrical items I am unsure about such as master/slave dimmers etc.

For the AC / A type I thought it would be necessary for most circuits as they will be rings, lights, oven, hob, boiler... pretty sure they all use some sort of DC internally?

Informative.
I knew about the carbon monoxide reg, but I didn’t know about the smoke on each floor.

however this is only in rented accommodation.

im pleased it exists, but concerned I didn’t know that one.

cheers
I have skimmed the link you have sent, I am assuming this only applies to rented properties?
The rewire is for someone who owns the property and is living there themselves. I will do more research.

If I recall, Building regs require the installation of smoke alarm in a domestic properties, during major renovations, an example of which is a rewire. In any case, it would be madness for the client not to chose so.

Aico provide a simple planning online service, I’d also recommend fitting one of their control switches.

If you require two way dimmer switches, I believe Zano do something quite good.
What do you mean by control switches?

I was opting for the standard aico optical smokes/heat and interconnect them.

I will check out Zano, this will be up to the client to provide. Do you know if they do modules only? otherwise they are stuck with their front plates only, like varilight multipoint, deta master/slave dimmers etc.

too cheap esp. for London. unless those prices are for labour & cable., not inc.materials.
This is only the labour prices. I will do the materials price separate then add the totals together. It is also a very close friend of mines girlfriend, having said that it is my first rewire and I'd like to get the job for experience/portfolio pictures. I am not a established business so I don't really have any crazy costs to cover.

sockets and switches, you fit them whare the customer wants them. while i agree with a 18" height for sockets, i hate light switches where a 3 year old can reach them. don't do new builds, so i always mount light switches at around chin height. sockets at knee height. who needs silly metric tape measures?

RCBO every time

Type A unless AC is appropriate

Read BS5839-6

Yep, we would as its a rewire

Zano, Varilight, Quinetic etc

As above

I'd say your prices for central london are far too cheap

What aren't you testing? If you have finished your apprenticeship you will have AM2/FICA etc so should be able to test?
I was thinking to go with Fusebox RCBO board with all type A.

Thanks I will check BS5839-6.

The heights are only for a new build house/flat though? pretty sure I read this somewhere, I will probably go with 450 & 1200 as it will be modern looking flat in london.

Also yes I have finished my apprenticeship/AM2. I will do the testing for my own satisfaction but some bits I am not too confident with. Also I am have not done my 2391, and I am not nic registered or any of those. So I will get a tester to certify it.

A new question arises:

When I went to see the place, the ceiling fan was wired, but the flexible ducting went up then into a flat pvc straight duct (approx 100x50mm) then went to somewhere where I could not see visually.

They said they will have a loft hatch in the bathroom as soon as you enter.

How would I go about deciding which fan to get?
I was thinking a centrifugal fan?
Was thinking about those inline fans too but you would need to climb into the loft space, and where the inline should be put, I don't think the ceiling will be too stable to work on...

Hi pppelec,
your confident but not to confident On some things.

do you know an electrician who can shadow you on this. Maybe pay the tester as you call him to go over the job at the beginning during and after. Also be there on hand or at the end of a phone.
it’s a great way of getting experience.
doing this without that back up may be too much first time.
I know that’s what I did when I did my first full rewire on my own.

the tester and certifyer will need to see the install at every stage anyway If he is taking liability for it.

Reply to Rewire Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net