Discuss From Live Productions to Electrical installation in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi apologies if this is a common question,

I am looking to re-train as an electrician, I currently work in the live event production industry as a Freelance Lighting Designer and Technician. Now I have a family I want a career that has better working hours and hopefully be home most nights!

My final aim is to be a self employed electrician doing domestic and commercial work. I am aware I may have to work full time to get the experience necessary.

I know a lot about AV / sound / Ethernet / Lighting / Architectural Lighting Design so I would like to gain qualifications to be able to work in shops/restaurants/bars/clubs/theaters etc.
I already have clients in the live production sector that also do install so I have a potential opportunity to get work/experience with them.

I have been looking at the following course

Professional Electrician Course | Access Training Academies - https://www.accesstraininguk.co.uk/electrical-courses/professional-electrical-course
The awarding body for the qualifications is EAL

I am also looking at a 2 year course at my local collage doing EAL Electrical installation level 2 and 3

Would people recommend these courses or not?

The Access Training course rep said it was very difficult to get AMD2 assessed off the back of these qualifications as they couldn't get an assessor easily in the area. Alarm bells started ringing for me when he said this

Is this an issue?
Do I even need to have a gold card for what I want to do?

Thanks in advance

James

You'd be better off with the level 2 and 3 at the local college as this will give you a better understanding of the job as a whole. These courses are regarded as the fundamental core knowledge.

The linked option is a cobbled together package of add on courses that skip most of the content of the level 2 and 3 installation courses. They are designed for those who want minimal education in minimum time and maximum profit for the training centre.

Reply to From Live Productions to Electrical installation in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net