Discuss Garden security light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Miguel_92

DIY
Reaction score
An old halogen light has been on the side of my house for a long time and i want to replace it with a brand new LED PIR light, but i don't know if it's possible. The old light was dead, so i've just taken it down (which was annoying to do) but i was wondering if i could put a new one up or not. No idea where the wires come from, they just come out of the brick and on the other side of that is a very old light fixture above my fridge and a 2 gang plug socket that my fridge is plugged into. I'll upload some photos of the light/wiring to see what you think about it. If i can't do it, would you be able to guess at how much an electrician would charge for the job? Thanks.

Regarding the old light the metal rod you'll see went into the wall, which obviously housed the wiring and it came out the other side into the light fixture itself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B093NVXPXQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?smid=A3DF9X6NKVLSD2&psc=1 that's the light i'd like fitting.

Attachments

• photo_2021-08-27_15-32-40.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 27
  • photo_2021-08-27_15-32-39.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 27
  • photo_2021-08-27_15-32-38.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 30
  • photo_2021-08-27_15-32-37.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 30
Your new light will need a permanent live feed so ideally that cable from the wall doesn't need to be switched. It will also need testing to verify the earth is connected and effective.
You will also need something like this with a stuffing gland to connect the new fitting.

I had a small feeling i might need a junction box, because to the left in that photo is a door and i want it putting above that so it will face down into the yard/garden. Only a black/red wire came out after i took it off, isn't earth yellow/green? I've taped them against the wall separately so nothing will go bang, but i doubt on a high level that the wires are even working. What tool do you suggest for testing wires? Thanks

The bare wire is earth it should have a green/yellow sleeve over it. It needs testing by an electrician who will have suitable test equipment.

It has corroded a bit and does look quite old possibly pre metric but that's not to say it isn't okay. If you are going to fit the light just get someone to test it and fit the box so it is at least safe.

if you post your lcation, one of us may be close. small cost to determine the way forwrd.

My parents have the number of a guy but he's a night owl lol and supposedly cheap so i'll see if he shows up and what he says about the price etc. The other wires "feel/look" ok but they could be useless, but in person the earth wire looks a lot worse than in the pictures so i'm hoping it's salvageable. Pure strength and brute force removed the old one, because it was so ancient and weathered to the extreme.

Just a random question. I've got the frame of a tube light in a room, i've cut the cord/taken all the fixtures from inside the light out but the screws just spin (they've got washers around them). How would i get them out? As it refuses to budge

I think if the house got knocked down tomorrow this fixture would still be there amongst the rubble. I've basically swung on it from one end on a ladder and just bent it a tiny bit, but even with pliers the screws just don't budge. It's also full of dust/dirt too and it's an eyesore lol. Would i have to drill through the screws?

I think if the house got knocked down tomorrow this fixture would still be there amongst the rubble. I've basically swung on it from one end on a ladder and just bent it a tiny bit, but even with pliers the screws just don't budge. It's also full of dust/dirt too and it's an eyesore lol. Would i have to drill through the screws?
angle grinder. cut the heads off. Marie Antoinette.

Reply to Garden security light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net