Discuss Go on then, shoot me down in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just joined up, but been quite a stalker in the background :p

Been working in the fire alarm industry for around 8 years now, i completed my 2330 lvl 2 and 3 (and 17th) around 2 years ago, and since then havent done much electrical work, done a lot of fault finding on 3ph smoke vent systems, diagnosing contactors etc. anyway my boss has just offered to pay for the inspection and testing course which im chuffed about as this is "the final piece of the puzzle", his reason is mainly for things like new fused spurs for psu's or new panels etc etc.

anyway having looked around it seems the 2391 is ceased in 2012, the 2392 is almost compared to a beginners I&T course but is limited to domestic and new installs only.

this leads me onto the 2394 course, from what ive read i will be able to do PIR's, new and existing domestic and commercial installations.

1. Am i correct with the above assumptions?

2. Not afraid to get my books back out and re-educate myself with the help of some fellow colleagues (i have a relative is VERY good at I&T'ing so hes offered to let me follow him on a few jobs) is the 2394 to big of a jump for me with my limited experience?
i dont really want to do the 2392 then work up as 1. It wont benefit my boss and 2. I wont use it as we dont do domestic work.
3. Should i go the whole hog and do both 2394/2395 at the same time.
Thanks for reading and take your best shot!

royce

2394 is for new installs and 2395 for EICR's (periodic)

Thanks for the replies all,

so both it is, funnily enough after i wrote this post i immediately found another website that explained the difference between the 2394/5 a bit more clearer haha

Finally is this going to be a very tough qual to pass? I didnt struggle too bad to complete the level 3, as in i wasnt panic studying right up to the exam hall, but im very aware ive not been actively partaking in proper electrical work since passing so asking me to cable calc without my notes in front of me is daunting.

Can i take notes into the written exams?

thanks again :)

You'll need an up to date copy of BS7671, On Site Guide and Guidance Note 3. If you're doing the course in the new year, you may need the new Amendment 3 versions - but check with the college first.

If you read Guidance Note 3 cover to cover and you know the layout of BS7671, you should be ok.

Good luck! They are good courses to do.

Just be careful on which 2394/5 course you do as imo C&G is the way to go and not the EAL version. Afaik the differences are in the written part of the exam, a multichoice open book exam awaits you for the EAL whereas the C&G is a written (answer all questions) closed book exam. If I was an employer I know which ones I would prefer any potential employee to hold.

Thankyou all for your replies, much appreciated.

i will get straight on the books ordering mine must be a good 2years out of date now.
And yes i plan to take the course in the new year, the xmas break sounds an ideal time to get in the revision.

not sure i follow your last comment stantheman, you mean the employer would prefer me to take the EAL open book exam as theres less chance of me failing so he doesnt pay for a re-test?

In fact, ignore me as ive found the answer in another thread. Ill opt for the c&g

edab285c9364595ddf1380caa3378ace_zps5df5aa8e.jpg

The EAL course is open book for some if it. The science exam isn't though. The EAL course also covers legislation, designing systems which is built into the practical assessments. Test and inspection is a fair bit in level 3 as well.
C&g have had the monopoly and to compare eal to 5www is stupid, I've been doing it for longer than 5'weeks I can assure you lol

Reply to Go on then, shoot me down in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net