Discuss Hello All. New Guy Who Requires Advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sbrown2

Hello All.

This is an informative site and I'm surprised I didn't find it sooner!

I have a number of questions and these relate to my current situation and where I want to be in a number of years.

I am currenty employed as a Maintenance Engineer with a Automotive supplier and work shifts. I think you will all appreciate that short time working is not good for the pocket. But it has set me thinking of the future. Currently 40 years old and my body is telling me that days and night shifts are not good for longevity! My background is:

• Mining Electrical Apprenticeship
  • 10 years underground electrician/apprentice
  • ONC Mining Electrical
  • Mining Class 1 Electrician
  • 16th Edition and 2382-10 in June 2010
  • 2391-01 Inspection and Testing
  • Just got ECS health and safety test pass
  • preparing for JIB application. Question will I get installation grade?
  • MIET just completed IEng Interview
  • BEng Mining
My current plans are shaky but my current view is instead of being a jack of all trades in maintenance I would rather use core skills and get back to electrical trade. This means get proficient at installation and grow business whist in current job. Hence 2382-10, ECS, and hopefully JIB. Get confident with domestic, I already have my foot in the door with commercial with PAT testing and have got minimum PL Insurance, and then grow into all areas. I'm not sure if its possible to be employed and grow to that level.
I've also got questions relating to JIB grading. Currently on site we develop and complete maintenance procedures not only for elelctrical installations, but for emergency lighting.

Hope its not too confusing and any help, hints and advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Sbrown2:)

Hi & welcome.:)

Reply to Hello All. New Guy Who Requires Advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net