Discuss Hello all, new member, new trainee, (hopefully) new friend! ;-) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt E

Hello everyone,

My name's Matt, 33 years young (for a sparky, so I've heard :innocent: ), married with a tear away 5 year old.

I've been an Optical Lab Technician for 15 years, 13 of those as a Lab Manager. At 33, I have decided that I've built my fair share of specs and so I have finally plucked up the courage to make the move to what I believe a far more rewarding career, in salary, experiences and satisfaction.

I'm very new to this Industry with my only experience being DIY and even that limited to accessories and light fittings.

I have just begun a correspondence based college course where I study at home from textbook and online assignments. And have 10, 1 week practical sessions in the college/workshop. This is a full scope course and also covers Solar PV.

As a trainee I will obviously be spending most of my time on this forum in the trainee section looking for advice and motivation to keep me going.

A large part of why I'm here is to hear and share others motivations and frustrations as the majority of the people here will know what it takes to become an electrician and how much information and knowledge is required.

As nice as it is to have friends and family around me and tell me how well I am doing and how good I will be, I don't really need that. I know that sounds silly and perhaps rude (to which I apologise) but what I really need is to be told that it's not easy and that I have to keep at it at all times. Don't stop and don't lose focus. That's what I'm hoping for from this forum.

I hope my ramblings make sense, I hope to enjoy my time here on the forum and who knows, maybe someday I will meet some of you guys and gals in person!

Thanks for reading (I won't be offended if you nodded off).

Matt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, please don't take this the wrong way, but what you really need to do is an recognized core qualification in electrical installations. The younger members will be able to give you course numbers etc.

Hi guys, sorry that paragraph didn't really explain much of the course. The course leads to C&G 2382, 2392, 2365 Lv3, 2394 and 2395. Obviously the lack of actually experience is a massive concern so my intentions are to seek employment after I have gained C&G 2365 Lv2 and then continue the course the full term.

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum, see you in the trainee section where hopefully any questions you have can be answered.

getting the practical experience, as a mate perhaps, is essential. look for jobs with indeed, jobrapido, trovit, monster jobs, etc. if you register with them all, you get email alerts daily of jobs in your area.

Thanks telectrix, I am registered on indeed and jobrapido, I haven't tried Monster and not heard of trovit so I will pop on them now. So far all Mate jobs I've looked at are either temporary or looking for 1+ years experience. I shall certainly keep looking. Thanks.

nowt wrong with temp. jobs. a lot of then turn into months when you've done 1 temp. the firm has other jobs on and, if they are happy with you, it can go permanent ish. look for around £10/ hour as a mate.

several times in the past i've gone for temp. work. 1998. went for a 2 week assignment . was there for 12 months. 2000. similar. 2 weekends through agency. agency pi$$ed on me. negotiated with main contractor, was there 18 months on 25% more than the agency rate, who dares wins.!

Reply to Hello all, new member, new trainee, (hopefully) new friend! ;-) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net