Discuss Hello everyone, new member here. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Carolina

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I must admit I'm kind of terrible when it comes to introductions so here goes whatever I can put together.
Name's there, just like the state, well two states in fact.

I just signed up for an electrician course that hopefully will allow me to operate in both domestic and commercial/industrial environments, won't say I'm an expert but I somewhat know my way around electricity, wiring installations and some tools. It's a long story to tell but it basically all comes down to me learning to repair the little things in my house when I was a kid because my family couldn't afford to call a professional, somehow I never messed up -well except for one thing I was cutting a wire and the tip of my cutter made contact with the junction box and exploded also taking out a fuse- and realised I was pretty good -and fast- at it, at one point my parents would pick up abandoned appliances from the streets so I could practice on them, managed to fixed pretty much everything using simple parts, our basement was also full of boxes of old things my grandpa left before leaving for the other side, it's his house after all and just like me he was apparently interested in electricity and had a bunch of tools I rescued and put to good use.

I still repair stuff as a side job, been getting into manufacturing -or simply putting together- decorative lamps, you know for people who like rustic and vintage style stuff, and also learned how to build and repair computers and other electronics but that's a whole different story.

Anyway, I live in an old house and I'm currently trying to rewire all of it given most of the wiring dated back to the 50's, and it's not even the original, there's still parts of it that are probably from the 1890's when it was built, I found two old screw-in kind of sockets with their original wiring behind some wood paneling -although cut off at some point to prevent a fire- and a spare one in the basement, see I've always been intrigued by this kind of stuff, they seem simple yet their design is pretty intrincate, it's weird to think Edison was still alive when these things were made and installed, almost eerie. The design must be good if they're still in use after 130 years. I also have 2 plugs that fit albeit damaged.

Signed up for the course to get to know regulations and also have a nice little paper that says I know what I know. Right, this wall of text is getting a bit too tall and I'm not even sure someone will read it so I better finish it up now. Oh, and sorry for the bad English, it's not my first language.

Welcome to the asylum mate.

Reply to Hello everyone, new member here. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net