Discuss Hoping to identify the wiring on this 240v Table Saw motor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

DIYJack

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Experts, I was given a Ryobi 240v Table Saw which I think came from South Africa. The motor was disconnected when I checked but I would just like to connect up the motor to see if it works. There are four wires to the motor, two black, one grey and one blue. I don't want to blow it up, what's the best way to connect it to see if it still works? Any help appreciated. Thanks
11.jpg

Three of the wires appear to have three different types of terminal crimped onto them. Isn't it obvious where they fit?

Three of the wires appear to have three different types of terminal crimped onto them. Isn't it obvious where they fit?
Hi, thanks for the reply. No there's no switch to attach them to. Just the 240v mains cable with no connectors. I assumed the switch had been removed as faulty.

You'll have to open the motor start switch and the connection cover on the motor itself and visually check what colour wires go where and figure out from there which colours are supply.

Measuring DC resistance between every combination of the wires might be a place to start.
Is the saw single phase?
Is there any sign of a capacitor associated with the motor?

You'll have to open the motor start switch and the connection cover on the motor itself and visually check what colour wires go where and figure out from there which colours are supply.
Thank you so much for the reply, I'm sure that will be incredibly helpful. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, there is no switch on the device, but I'll see if I an find some information on the internal wiring of similar motors. Or maybe some information on wiring colour codes.

Might be completely wrong of course, but two identically coloured wires suggests to me that they connect to something that doesn't matter which way around it's connected, such as some kind of excess temperature sensor.
See post #5.

Thank you so much for the reply, I'm sure that will be incredibly helpful. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, there is no switch on the device, but I'll see if I an find some information on the internal wiring of similar motors. Or maybe some information on wiring colour codes.
The reason I say you should visually check the colours used is because the South African regs (SANS10142) state that black wires be used for neutrals. This causes chaos with trailing cables such as cabtyre or HO7/HO5 type cables which come in European harmonised colours where black is a phase wire. Hence in South Africa if it's 3-phase you never know if the installer followed the regs or followed the EU harmonised colours when it comes to phases and neutrals. That cable you have there looks like there's 2 blacks but it doesn't even seem to have an earth wire so gawd alone what wiring scheme that is. Maybe your best bet is try contact the manufacturer assuming it's not been generically rebranded.

Might be completely wrong of course, but two identically coloured wires suggests to me that they connect to something that doesn't matter which way around it's connected, such as some kind of excess temperature sensor.
See post #5.
Could it perhaps be to a capacitor? One was loose in the box.
The reason I say you should visually check the colours used is because the South African regs (SANS10142) state that black wires be used for neutrals. This causes chaos with trailing cables such as cabtyre or HO7/HO5 type cables which come in European harmonised colours where black is a phase wire. Hence in South Africa if it's 3-phase you never know if the installer followed the regs or followed the EU harmonised colours when it comes to phases and neutrals. That cable you have there looks like there's 2 blacks but it doesn't even seem to have an earth wire so gawd alone what wiring scheme that is. Maybe your best bet is try contact the manufacturer assuming it's not been generically rebranded.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get to see how the connections are made.

If it's single phase there'll probably be a capacitor associated with the motor, and although unusual, it could be remotely connected on those two black wires.
Where are the resistance measurements?

If it's single phase there'll probably be a capacitor associated with the motor, and although unusual, it could be remotely connected on those two black wires.

Not being completely sure what resistance measurements were required (not really sure what I'm doing here), I took the following
Black1 > Black2 >1.6
Black1 > Grey > 2.4
Black1 > Blue > OL
Black2 > Grey > 2.2
Black2 > Blue > OL
Grey > Blue > OL

Black1 > Black2 > Continuity
Black1 > Grey > Continuity
Black2 > Grey > Continuity
Not the others

Does that make any sense?

Not being completely sure what resistance measurements were required (not really sure what I'm doing here), I took the following
Black1 > Black2 >1.6
Black1 > Grey > 2.4
Black1 > Blue > OL
Black2 > Grey > 2.2
Black2 > Blue > OL
Grey > Blue > OL

Black1 > Black2 > Continuity
Black1 > Grey > Continuity
Black2 > Grey > Continuity
Not the others

Does that make any sense?
Obviously Not!

Can't really make much sense of it, TBH. The resistance readings only make sense if they're connected in a delta or star arrangement, and the blue doesn't appear to be connected to anything (possibly to a centrifugal switch? or just faulty winding?

Can't really make much sense of it, TBH. The resistance readings only make sense if they're connected in a delta or star arrangement, and the blue doesn't appear to be connected to anything (possibly to a centrifugal switch? or just faulty winding?
Or maybe it just burnt out.... thanks for replying.

Reply to Hoping to identify the wiring on this 240v Table Saw motor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net