Discuss How to find the correct replacement transformer for a lightstring. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marijke

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

No electronic knowledge here. The plug/transformer of a led lightstring is fried.

Now I am trying to find a replacement on Aliexpress. Since we live in Papua, its the best option.

But I cant find one with the same numbers. My fried transformer has:

PRI (primary) 220-240V ~ 50Hz 0.18A
SEC (secondary or output) 30V ~ 0.4A, max 12VA

All I can find is 31V with 6W, but if I am correct, mine is 12W (30V * 400mA).

It also has 8 functions, but happy to let that go. It has two separate strings with light bulbs.

I can also order just the circuitboard on Aliexpress, that gets closer to 30V and 12W. But is that indeed possible?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Marijke

Attachments

• IMG-20230927-WA0002.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20230927-WA0001.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 8
Did you look up the YF-AD-L300 number?
Try somewhere other than Ali express…. Does Amazon or eBay not have it?

If the light string is rated at 30v, then you need a 30v output. Going higher will damage the string.
(I know it’s only 1v of difference)

Did you look up the YF-AD-L300 number?
Try somewhere other than Ali express…. Does Amazon or eBay not have it?

If the light string is rated at 30v, then you need a 30v output. Going higher will damage the string.
(I know it’s only 1v of difference)
Yes, no result on the modelnumber. Unfortunately it is only Aliexpress who delivers in Papua, so trying that first.

Ying Fu make many many LED adapters, most of which are lower power these days. Yours appears obsolete, and I can't immediately see a current model that delivers 30V at 0.4A
If you are happy to have just a plain supply without the effects, any 30V dc adapter with a current capability above 0.4A would do. I see an example on Aliexpress (below) with Euro or US plug options, but I believe you have type I plugs - would the wrong plug be a problem? In which case a power brick with flying leads might be an easier solution.

I wouldn't try fitting a 'replacement' circuit board, both for safety reasons, and the likelihood of it not being the right size to fit in the old enclosure.

Last edited:
Ying Fu make many many LED adapters, most of which are lower power these days. Yours appears obsolete, and I can't immediately see a current model that delivers 30V at 0.4A
If you are happy to have just a plain supply without the effects, any 30V dc adapter with a current capability above 0.4A would do. I see an example on Aliexpress (below) with Euro or US plug options, but I believe you have type I plugs - would the wrong plug be a problem? In which case a power brick with flying leads might be an easier solution.

I wouldn't try fitting a 'replacement' circuit board, both for safety reasons, and the likelihood of it not being the right size to fit in the old enclosure.
Thank you so much! I dont mind to not have the effects at all. The problem is the plug from the lightstring.
This one would fit, but the voltage is to low. I just cant find one with the same numbers.

Thank you so much! I dont mind to not have the effects at all. The problem is the plug from the lightstring.
This one would fit, but the voltage is to low. I just cant find one with the same numbers.

The problem with the plug on your light string can be solved by either chopping it off and connecting the light wires to the wires of the adapter (the right way round) or alternatively salvage the socket from your old adapter and connect that to the wires coming out of a new adapter.

The 12V one you have found is no good. You need at least 24V (would give slightly dimmer bulbs), and with a current rating over 0.4A.
If it were me I would give up the idea of trying to find an adapter with the correct socket, and use the old socket you have to connect to a new adapter!

PS you weren't using the old one positioned outside were you?

The problem with the plug on your light string can be solved by either chopping it off and connecting the light wires to the wires of the adapter (the right way round) or alternatively salvage the socket from your old adapter and connect that to the wires coming out of a new adapter.

The 12V one you have found is no good. You need at least 24V (would give slightly dimmer bulbs), and with a current rating over 0.4A.
If it were me I would give up the idea of trying to find an adapter with the correct socket, and use the old socket you have to connect to a new adapter!

PS you weren't using the old one positioned outside were you?
We just moved into this house. The lights are outside under the roof of the veranda. This tranformer is outside, but wont get wet as the roof covers it far enough. The previous owner said it started flickering the day before they left.

We just moved into this house. The lights are outside under the roof of the veranda. This tranformer is outside, but wont get wet as the roof covers it far enough. The previous owner said it started flickering the day before they left.
Thanks. The reason I asked is that I have a suspicion that the adaptor has got damp, and that lead to its failure. It's difficult to tell without seeing it In person! The house symbol on the label indicates it is only supposed to be used indoors. Anyway, it is what it is. I would advise any replacement be put indoors unless you buy a waterproof one.

There might be suitable alternatives available in Europe or America, but if you really are only able to buy from Aliexpress I don't think you will find a 'plug in' solution there. You would have to do some electrical modifications to fit a replacement. Or buy a new set of lights!

Update - I found a more recent 24V version of your adapter (UK version) on ebay (below). It might work at reduced brightness!
But I see the low voltage connector from the lights has 3 pins. Does yours have 3-pins?

Last edited:
Reactions: DPG
Thanks. The reason I asked is that I have a suspicion that the adaptor has got damp, and that lead to its failure. It's difficult to tell without seeing it In person! The house symbol on the label indicates it is only supposed to be used indoors. Anyway, it is what it is. I would advise any replacement be put indoors unless you buy a waterproof one.

There might be suitable alternatives available in Europe or America, but if you really are only able to buy from Aliexpress I don't think you will find a 'plug in' solution there. You would have to do some electrical modifications to fit a replacement. Or buy a new set of lights!

Update - I found a more recent 24V version of your adapter (UK version) on ebay (below). It might work at reduced brightness!
But I see the low voltage connector from the lights has 3 pins. Does yours have 3-pins?
Thank you so much again! I just found someone who is travelling to PNG from the Netherlands. That gives me a whole lot more options!
Thank you so much for helping, I finally know now where to look for.
My plug has two pins:

Attachments

• IMG-20230928-WA0012.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you so much again! I just found someone who is travelling to PNG from the Netherlands. That gives me a whole lot more options!
Thank you so much for helping, I finally know now where to look for.
My plug has two pins:
That's helpful that it has two pins. So it should be easy to connect any suitable power supply to the led string. The one on EBay in my previous post won't be any good, as I'm sure you realise, given the different connector.

Reply to How to find the correct replacement transformer for a lightstring. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net