Discuss LED Strip Power advice in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jtothelo

DIY
Reaction score
Hi - sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but i cant seem to find the answer.
I have an LED Strip and a smart controller. I need a power supply, and am struggling to figure out which one. This strip is the first of many I plan to install - i just need to get my head around it all then will order the right kit. The strip will need to be dimmed, and occasionally change colour, but mostly will be set to white at various dimmed levels.

Strip details:
RGBCCT, IP65 Waterproof, 5m, 50/50, 60/m (Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com - https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0o.9042647.6.2.108c4c4dHeIZtl&orderId=8142950763190204&productId=1005003132755665)

Controller details:
RGB+CCT Zigbee 3.0 FUT039Z (15.22€ 26% de réduction|Contrôleur Led FUT035Z FUT036Z FUT037Z FUT038Z FUT039Z, contrôleur pour bande LED RGB RGBW blanc double couleur DC12 24V + CCT | AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003358338187.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.29e24c4deCSpNR)

For the power supply, a couple of questions:
- because I am using the Zigbee controller, it doesnt matter whether the power supply is dimmable - is this true? Do I need a dimmable supply?
- Strip is 12v, 5m, 8.64w/m, so total consumption incl. 20% headroom is 54w. Can I get a 12v 150w power supply like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/REYLAX®-Sw...v&qid=1641646640&sprefix=,aps,56&sr=8-11&th=1
Or should it be as close to 54w as possible (i.e. a 60w supply)
- If i put another strip in the same location, can I run them both from the same power supply? (another 12v, 5m, 54w strip)

Thanks for the detailed post - I am sure someone will be along to help you out soon.

Hi
I think all the kit you propose will work together, unless I've missed something.
You do not need a dimmable PSU, The controller does the dimming, and appears to need a fixed voltage input,
The power supply you suggest (150W) is rated pretty well the same as the controller (144W), so should work together.
I imagine you could put two LED strips on the output of one controller. With your 20% headroom, three strips would take you over the rating of the controller (you might get away with it, but if you need reliability, best not to!)
If you want to control two strips independently, you can put two controllers on the one 150W power supply, with a strip on each (again - you might just get away with three controllers on the one power supply - the LED load without headroom would be130W, but there is presumably also some load added by each controller, so you may get near to the power supply current limit.)
Good luck with the project 😀

Last edited:

Reply to LED Strip Power advice in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net