Discuss Kitchen LED Strip Light Fault in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

We moved into our house 2 years ago and until recently the kitchen lights worked fine. The LED strip lights are on a dimmer switch, when pressed (full power selected) the LEDs come on briefly and then go off. On investigation the LED strips are driven by an Aurora driver (this model Aurora 12V Constant Voltage LED Driver - 16W - AU-LED16T - https://www.ledbulbs.co.uk/products/aurora-1-16w-12v-dc-non-dimmable-constant-voltage-led-driver-blue) Image attached. Further reading indicates that this driver can't be used with a dimmer switch so is this likely to be the cause of the issue?
If so can anyone suggest a good replacement dimmable model please?

Regards

Stephen

Attachments

• 20220609_194218_1.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 6
Hello,

We moved into our house 2 years ago and until recently the kitchen lights worked fine. The LED strip lights are on a dimmer switch, when pressed (full power selected) the LEDs come on briefly and then go off. On investigation the LED strips are driven by an Aurora driver (this model Aurora 12V Constant Voltage LED Driver - 16W - AU-LED16T - https://www.ledbulbs.co.uk/products/aurora-1-16w-12v-dc-non-dimmable-constant-voltage-led-driver-blue) Image attached. Further reading indicates that this driver can't be used with a dimmer switch so is this likely to be the cause of the issue?
If so can anyone suggest a good replacement dimmable model please?

Regards

Stephen
Yes it is quite possible that the driver is the cause. Drivers that aren't dimmable can react unpredictably when used with dimmers and eventually fail. They often work when the dimmer is on full, but then flash or go out when the dimmer is used.

It's also possible that the dimmer has failed, depending on the age and type of it. LEDs generally need dimmer switches that are rated for LEDs, although it can vary depending on the driver.

If you have a tester you could see whether 12V is coming out of the transformer (if you know how to do so safely), to confirm that it is the driver.

Do you know the rating of the light strips that are attached to it? The driver chosen needs to match the required load, both maximum and minimum amounts are important.

Assuming that the 16W was correctly chosen and is not fully loaded, something like this should do:

Dimmable LED Driver 15W Low Minimum Load Constant Voltage - https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/triac-dimmable-led-driver-15w.html

I couldn't find an equivalent aurora one. I think some companies may be moving away from dimmable drivers, firstly because often fittings have them integrated now, and secondly that the dimmer switch needs to be matched, and an old style dimmer can cause problems which they can't control, leading to returns.

I'd always buy from a reputable supplier, and not choose one of the myriad options on Amazon/ebay. They may or may not be made to sufficient standards to hard wire into your installation.

Just to add...I don't like dimmers at all! So many variables, especially with LED and in my experience you need to buy the lamps and the dimmers as matched set from the same supplier so you have compatibility, and a chance of redress if something goes wrong.
Why dim stuff anyway? That's old hat! I had multiple dimmers in my last house, hardly ever used them, and when the modules failed I just bought the "fake" ones that look like dimmers but are simple push on/off.
While I'm on a rant, all this smart stuff...UGH! Don't fiddle with your phone to turn the lights off...just get off your bottom and flick the switch.
Rant over!

Reply to Kitchen LED Strip Light Fault in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net