Currently reading:
individual RCBOs or a main breaker RCBO? and what trip level 10mA or 30mA

Discuss individual RCBOs or a main breaker RCBO? and what trip level 10mA or 30mA in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have the feeling that I might have small currents running in the house. So first of all, I am considering to get a leakage clamp meter. But besides of this, I am also considering to replace the breakers with RCBO. But then the question, should I go for indivdual rcbo or just replace the main breaker with an rcbo? and if I replace individual rcbo should I go for 10mA or 30mA? I have the feeling it should be 10mA as in general, you want to do something about if there is 10mA and tripping does is the correct thing to happen.

any suggestions?

The standard in the Uk domestic is 30mA.

Individual RCBO per circuit is preferred just to avoid nuisance tripping.

If you think that every device or piece of equipment carries a tiny tiny element of earth leakage… nothing that would individually trip even a 10mA… but all added up, could do.

So a 30mA as a main switch covering all circuits is sensing an accumulation of everything plugged in and connected… not necessarily
switched on.
If that tripped, everything would be turned off, it would be more difficult to find the fault.

What makes you think you have a fault?

Maybe 10mA is a standard size in Thailand??

but it wont be much use as main protection for all circuits. Maybe one circuit or even just one appliance.

30mA gives a little more leeway, but if there's a known fault.... its just going to trip.

In general an RCBO board is a much better choice, if there is a fault your impact is limited to only the faulted circuit and not others off the same RCD.

As for 10mA versus 30mA that will come down to local regulations. What you have to remember is the RCD side dose not limit current, it limits time above the current. That is a very different aspect! So 10mA and 30mA RCD will hurt just the same, what would reduce that pain & risk is quicker tripping times.

What 10mA trip gives you is less chance of being in the narrow window of "can't let go" to "RCD trips" but in reality most unfortunate encounters with an RCD has a bit more current as you grip tighter and either type will go fast. If working!

Test your RCD, and test them regularly (6 months etc)!

the 10mA and 30mA are the differences between line and neutral. if they arent equal, then that current must be leaking to earth... which may or may not be through a persons body.

the limiting factor is how quickly they are supposed to trip off.... in UK, its 40ms... but thats a limit... they normally trip way before that.

Thanks for all the advice. The reason I am looking at this is just to improve my electric system. I found various issues and see various reasons why this might be a problem. I will do a separate post on some of them. But some water pipes I have the feeling have some charge. Further, there are some strange voltage measures on the ground cable at some point. And I have ghost lights.

There are actually no regulations here. Also for residential there are not really certified electricians. they work for industries.

Reply to individual RCBOs or a main breaker RCBO? and what trip level 10mA or 30mA in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock