Discuss Lightening taken a dislike to both of my TV's... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

manda

I have just had lightening wipe out 2 Tv's. Every other appliance in house is fine. Not so sure if it may even have possibly hit the Arial, as it was right on top of us. Was watching Tv, Flash and Bang and nice fizzle noise from vicinity of TV, too quick to judge if from socket or tv itself. Fuses in both plug tops are fine. No tripping of MCBS, RCDS. No nasty smells. Continuity test and IR test on plug top both showing open circuit. Soooooo...... What are the chances it will be as simple as taking the back off the TV and there will be a nice little melted fuse that I can replace and hey presto, happy TV? Next door neighbour, everything working except he has lost internet connection. Phone line is fine. Any ideas? :bigcry:

I thought you guys were in the middle of a heatwave....

Please be careful inside the TV Manda, some TV's have a live steel chassis behind the plastic casing and it can be at a potential of several thousand volts.

Older tvs used to have great little devices, racking my brain for the name but basically they were resistors soldered under tension & when too hot solder melted and they pinged apart. Engineer resoldered & away you went. Did my work experience in a TV repair shop (29 years ago)

May take a look inside it another evening, not holding out much hope it can be fixed though and am currently far to busy sulking ;) seems it wasn't an arial strike as since all the neighbours have been getting home from work, there are plenty of fried appliances being mourned! So lesson learnt, practice what you preach and get surge protection manda! Now watching a portable tv, my flat screen may make a nice coffee table eh? Gutted.

Well, just popped the back off the tv and the glass 3A fuse on the power board is shattered. Of course I don't have any lying around so it will be Monday until I can replace it and see if I've been extremely lucky. Fingers crossed. Can't see any other signs of damage :)

Ever since a mates PC got fried, anytime a storm like that brews up, anything like thats unplugged from the wall completley. Hopefully the fuse saved you, Let us know!

Reply to Lightening taken a dislike to both of my TV's... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net