Discuss Mate/Labourer/Trainee Work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

I’m looking to get into the electrical industry.

I’m 41 years old and after a 17 year career in IT (and a huge change in personal circumstances) I’m looking for a complete change of path and a new challenge.

I don't like the idea of attending an “intense” course at a training facility so would like some advice on how to gain work as a trainee/mate/labourer to learn the craft.

I’ve never been one for learning from books alone and learn by observing and asking questions.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated or a job offer would be even better 😉

I live in Thurrock, Essex 👍🏻

I’ve never been one for learning from books alone and learn by observing and asking questions.
There's rather a lot of books involved I'm afraid - stacks of theory and regulations. They get updated every couple of years too, so you never really get fully on top of it for long.

I appreciate it's exactly not what you want to hear, but perhaps a good idea if you do get stuck into some books before you spend any money on training. It might indicate whether the trade's for you or not

There's rather a lot of books involved I'm afraid - stacks of theory and regulations. They get updated every couple of years too, so you never really get fully on top of it for long.

I appreciate it's exactly not what you want to hear, but perhaps a good idea if you do get stuck into some books before you spend any money on training. It might indicate whether the trade's for you or not
Thanks for the reply mate.

It’s not that I’m not prepared for having to study I just find i learn a lot quicker and retain more when I’m able to observe someone actually doing something.

I find there’s not much point in learning the theory behind everything then not having a clue what to do once on the tools so to speak.

Appreciate the advice though 👍🏻

I see what the OP is saying , a book can't really teach you how to mash out a chase or drill a hole in a joist

But what you certainly do need some level of theory to understand why you are pulling in 'that sized cable' etc

In the old days 2360 Pt1 was a really good course Imo where you did half a day theory and half a day in the work shop, Pt2 was ALOT more theory based

I see what the OP is saying , a book can't really teach you how to mash out a chase or drill a hole in a joist

But what you certainly do need some level of theory to understand why you are pulling in 'that sized cable' etc

In the old days 2360 Pt1 was a really good course Imo where you did half a day theory and half a day in the work shop, Pt2 was ALOT more theory based
Hi Dusty

Thanks for replying mate.

I’ve done quite a lot of research into courses etc and it looks as if the starting point may be C&G 2365 level 2 (i may be wrong) but It’s not clear if that course is designed for beginners (like me) or folk with some relevant experience in the field…

The old chicken and egg situation i suppose…having some experience will help when it comes to training and qualifications but need the qualifications to get a job and gain the experience 🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s why i was hoping to be able to jump on with someone as a labourer/mate and at least learn the “basics” to stand me in good stead going forward.

Thanks for the reply mate.

It’s not that I’m not prepared for having to study I just find i learn a lot quicker and retain more when I’m able to observe someone actually doing something.

I find there’s not much point in learning the theory behind everything then not having a clue what to do once on the tools so to speak.

Appreciate the advice though 👍🏻
I suspect you'll find it the other way round. Without the theory, the practical will make little sense, and you'll miss important details.

At 41, you'll struggle to get an apprenticeship. Labour is easy enough to find (i'm sure I'm not the only one here who regularly gets emails from other guys in a similar situation to yourself), so why would anyone want to employ you, not coming from a construction background, with nothing in particular to offer, and you asking questions all day long? The very least you can do, to make yourself vaguely employable, is get your head into some books.

Sorry if that last paragraph seems harsh, it's not intended to put you off, but try to look at it from an employers perspective.

Hi Dusty

I’ve done quite a lot of research into courses etc and it looks as if the starting point may be C&G 2365 level 2 (i may be wrong) but It’s not clear if that course is designed for beginners (like me) or folk with some relevant experience in the field…

The old chicken and egg situation i suppose…having some experience will help when it comes to training and qualifications but need the qualifications to get a job and gain the experience 🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s why i was hoping to be able to jump on with someone as a labourer/mate and at least learn the “basics” to stand me in good stead going forward.
There will be sparks out there who need a helper on bigger jobs so it is best to ring around some local contractors and see if they need a hand. Everyone starts somewhere and it might be house bashing chopping in boxes or on a commercial site bending some conduits.

There will be sparks out there who need a helper on bigger jobs so it is best to ring around some local contractors and see if they need a hand. Everyone starts somewhere and it might be house bashing chopping in boxes or on a commercial site bending some conduits.
That was going to be my next move just approach as many as I can and see if anyone is willing to give me a go.

As you say everyone has to start somewhere and I am a complete novice so chopping in boxes and bending conduit is the exact thing I’d do to gain exposure to the types of work out there and gain experience in the field.

I suspect you'll find it the other way round. Without the theory, the practical will make little sense, and you'll miss important details.

At 41, you'll struggle to get an apprenticeship. Labour is easy enough to find (i'm sure I'm not the only one here who regularly gets emails from other guys in a similar situation to yourself), so why would anyone want to employ you, not coming from a construction background, with nothing in particular to offer, and you asking questions all day long? The very least you can do, to make yourself vaguely employable, is get your head into some books.

Sorry if that last paragraph seems harsh, it's not intended to put you off, but try to look at it from an employers perspective.
Doesn’t seem harsh mate i appreciate the input.

Obviously the ideal way would be an Apprenticeship or structured learning programme but as you say my age will hold me back there which i accept.

I do feel i have some good qualities though and do have things to offer just not related to the industry (yet) hence why I’m enquiring as to how i can get a foot in the door.

Everyone has to start somewhere

Same age as you and similar position, I'd go and at least get your 2365 level 2, once you have that cert apply for an ecs labourer card and sign onto agencies for experience. And in between, get your 18th done, IPAF 3a/3b also looks good on cv. You have to absolutely absorb yourself into the Industry, watch vids, read books etc.. the more you put in the more you get.

Same age as you and similar position, I'd go and at least get your 2365 level 2, once you have that cert apply for an ecs labourer card and sign onto agencies for experience. And in between, get your 18th done, IPAF 3a/3b also looks good on cv. You have to absolutely absorb yourself into the Industry, watch vids, read books etc.. the more you put in the more you get.
Hi Mate

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve done quite a lot of research into courses and it sounds as if the 2365 is designed for folk who have quite a lot of experience already and not a noob like me.

In fact a friend of mine is doing his now and his group is basically full of guys who have been working for years but now want the certs so would have a massive advantage over me.

That’s why I thought if i could get some kind of experience behind me it would help me with any courses.

I started off in a similar position, with no experience did 2365 lvl 2+3 at able skills in dartford. Course was good and it set me up nicely to blag that i knew what was going on when i started subbying after. I took on my mate to help me out last year and he did his quals at the same place but home study, just went in to the center for exams and practical. Not a bad option if you've got a job at the same time

I started off in a similar position, with no experience did 2365 lvl 2+3 at able skills in dartford. Course was good and it set me up nicely to blag that i knew what was going on when i started subbying after. I took on my mate to help me out last year and he did his quals at the same place but home study, just went in to the center for exams and practical. Not a bad option if you've got a job at the same time

I’m just conscious I have no experience at all and don’t want to waste my money.

You can call ableskills and ask for a guided tour around their centre to see if it's right for you, while I was there i saw a few people that did that. Or you could just jump in and get on, it's not that difficult, I personally did the home study (you do need to have self discipline for that to work), then came into centre for practicals and exams.

Did you go onto your NVQ afterwards?

I’m just conscious I have no experience at all and don’t want to waste my money.

It's pretty nerve wracking because it's hard to know what the right route to go is and it is a big wedge of cash you're putting up. I did a lot of research before starting the course to make sure it wasn't a big scam! If you are going to go that way though 2365 lvl 2+3 is what you need to start with, 80% of the guys on the course with me had no experience at all either. If a guy like you called me up now looking for work I'd be a lot more inclined to give him a go knowing he'd committed time and money to get properly qualified and I'd know when I was talking to him about technical stuff he wouldn't be looking at me like I was speaking Swahili

It's pretty nerve wracking because it's hard to know what the right route to go is and it is a big wedge of cash you're putting up. I did a lot of research before starting the course to make sure it wasn't a big scam! If you are going to go that way though 2365 lvl 2+3 is what you need to start with, 80% of the guys on the course with me had no experience at all either. If a guy like you called me up now looking for work I'd be a lot more inclined to give him a go knowing he'd committed time and money to get properly qualified and I'd know when I was talking to him about technical stuff he wouldn't be looking at me like I was speaking Swahili
Thanks for the reply mate 👍🏻

After years in IT I changed from IT to be an electrician, as well as IT I also bought, refurbed and rented properties and was very hands on so had a lot of experience of doing some interior construction projects.. I know you probably want to dive in but to be honest you need both the theory and the practical, a lot of the practical skills has often very little to do with electrics..

As a now one man band I try to help people where I can and I recently helped a lad out doing the level 2, a 21yr old, he learned very quickly and I was getting him to do various jobs, but and here is the kicker I needed to supervise him, so I could do the job quicker, after a while I could get him to do some stuff on his own and in return I spent time explaining things to him.. So it was work experience rather than hiring him..

With no practical knowledge and no theory knowledge explain to me as an employer what you bring to the table compared to a 17yr old that I could pay like £90 a week on an apprenticeship and get paid by the government? I would have to pay you minimum wage and it would take me months and cost me thousands to even start to break even with you... I don't want to sound harsh, but if you had some theory you at least would not need talking through everything and could use some initiative, if you just want to know if its right for you ask for a day or so of work experience but even that is hard to come by as if your self employed if it slows you down it costs you money..

I often get emails asking me to take people on, for some reason IT guys seem to want to change to be electricians, I don't really ever want to take anyone on but if I did then it would be more likely a 17yr old.. I am almost 40 and the one thing I have learnt is being an electrician is a young mans game, you can do it as you get older but you definitely hear a lot more groans, personally I wouldn't want to be doing it much beyond 50.

Last edited:

Reply to Mate/Labourer/Trainee Work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net