Discuss Maximum zs on TT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
HELLO
Im learner yet!
i would like to know something about the TT system!
if i would have an outbuilding installation, like sumer house!the main earthing sytem is tncs! so the bs 7671 recomend ONLY DO NOT export the earth from the house !what about if i still use the tncs earth to summerhouse! just i would not relay on the ground resistance! do i think wrong?
Also for example :if the TT ze :6ohm in the summer house fuseboard ,then if i put 32a circuit braker for the ring circuit .then would r1+r2: 0.20ohm and i need to add ze:6 ohm =zs would be :6.20 !but in this case the braker will not trip in required times as the regulation show me!Becasue that braker need maximum zs:1.44 ohm!
so please can you explain sortly what i thinking wrongly?!Or can you make me understand more of it!?
Thank you!

Depends on extraneous conductive parts boss.....even then you could bond back with relevant size bonding, 10mm for tncs...

HELLO
Im learner yet!
i would like to know something about the TT system!
if i would have an outbuilding installation, like sumer house!the main earthing sytem is tncs! so the bs 7671 recomend ONLY DO NOT export the earth from the house !what about if i still use the tncs earth to summerhouse! just i would not relay on the ground resistance! do i think wrong?
Also for example :if the TT ze :6ohm in the summer house fuseboard ,then if i put 32a circuit braker for the ring circuit .then would r1+r2: 0.20ohm and i need to add ze:6 ohm =zs would be :6.20 !but in this case the braker will not trip in required times as the regulation show me!Becasue that braker need maximum zs:1.44 ohm!
so please can you explain sortly what i thinking wrongly?!Or can you make me understand more of it!?
Thank you!
exactly. so you then use a RCD for fault protection as with a TT earthing system it's very difficult to achieve a ZE (Ra) low enough to allow the requisite fault current to trip fuses/breakers.

The regulations only give the disconnection times as a requirement and do not say how you achieve them. In practice with TT you have to rely on RCD to disconnect on a fault as it is very difficult to get Ra low enough for even a 6A B-curve MCB used for lighting, etc, let alone 32A ring finals, etc.

Traditionally that meant an incomer RCD, typically 100mA delay, and then possibly 30mA instant RCD (or RCBO) for additional protection, though if all circuits are on RCD then you can often drop the RCD incomer and use a switch.

But the high Zs at the board also means any fault before the RCD will not clear on the supply OCPD, so you have to take great care that cannot happen (as you should be doing any way!) so a proper gland to support the tails, ensuring the terminals are properly torqued, busbar cannot accidentally touch anything, etc.

If going from TN-C-S (in home) to TT (in outbuilding) you would typically earth the feed cable armour to the TN-C-S supply earth using a proper SWA gland, etc, so any fault in the cable (e.g. someone putting a garden spade or pick-axe in to it, etc) will take out the supply OCPD. Then at the out building isolate the earths, with the SWA supported by a plastic gland to only provide L & N, and the local earth rod being the means of earthing within the outbuilding installation.

The regulations only give the disconnection times as a requirement and do not say how you achieve them. In practice with TT you have to rely on RCD to disconnect on a fault as it is very difficult to get Ra low enough for even a 6A B-curve MCB used for lighting, etc, let alone 32A ring finals, etc.

Traditionally that meant an incomer RCD, typically 100mA delay, and then possibly 30mA instant RCD (or RCBO) for additional protection, though if all circuits are on RCD then you can often drop the RCD incomer and use a switch.

But the high Zs at the board also means any fault before the RCD will not clear on the supply OCPD, so you have to take great care that cannot happen (as you should be doing any way!) so a proper gland to support the tails, ensuring the terminals are properly torqued, busbar cannot accidentally touch anything, etc.

If going from TN-C-S (in home) to TT (in outbuilding) you would typically earth the feed cable armour to the TN-C-S supply earth using a proper SWA gland, etc, so any fault in the cable (e.g. someone putting a garden spade or pick-axe in to it, etc) will take out the supply OCPD. Then at the out building isolate the earths, with the SWA supported by a plastic gland to only provide L & N, and the local earth rod being the means of earthing within the outbuilding installation.
thank you ! but better to use pme earth then, TT spike rod! ? no?
so actualy i still can use pme at outbuilding wood house? !
what do you think if the outbuilding summer house next to it an hot tube! but thete is not extraneous conductiv part! i would still use the pme earth ,is it breach the regulation?

use the existing pme earthing and if necessary add a rod at the outbuilding to negate lost N fault.

use the existing pme earthing and if necessary add a rod at the outbuilding to negate lost N fault.
when is necessary if the ze on tncs is very good? and can i just connect the earth rod earth wire to the consumer unit also with pme -earth together? if the N fault occour then the tt earth can protect life? if yes how? can you sort explain please!thx

Reply to Maximum zs on TT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock