Discuss Need to add plug sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

maxrawson

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I have recently moved and I have only 1 plug socket in the living room where i need 8! I'd normally call on an electrician to sort it but I'm reluctant to do so at the moment purely due to covid19 so want to tackle it myself as I've currently using 2 fused extension leads in the1 wall socket (I know this is not a good idea). Would I be ok to use 2 x fused 4 plug converters? One in place of the current single plug in the ring main and 1 as a spur from the other? Ithink this would be the easiest/ cheaper option but obviously want to ensure it's safe. The plugs would be used to power low ampage items such as tv cable box router etc so should be well below 13 amps. If this would not be safe I'd really appreciate if someone can recommend the simplest alternative? Thanks

I've currently using 2 fused extension leads in the1 wall socket (I know this is not a good idea).

Why do you think this is not a good idea?
Fused, multi outlet extension leads are perfectly safe, just don't use those plug in, multiway, square block things, they are a bit sketchy.

Your best bet is to continue as you are until such time as you can get an electrician to carry out any work required.

As already said, get a professional in for putting in several sockets around the room, it will be done properly and tested, etc.

As a stop-gap, at most you could look at replacing the single socket with a double so you can more easily plug in a pair of 4-way or 6-way extension blocks. That should be fairly straightforward to do but you will need to make the hole bigger for a double-size back box.

Obviously you need to be very careful to properly isolate the power first, and also take care that the wires don't fall back behind the wall and out of reach while you are removing the old one and inserting the new back-box.

As a ring circuit there should be two cables joining at the back of it and you must take care they are all reconnected correctly. If you do not have one, get one of the plug testers to verify it is basically OK after any work.

Obviously a ~£10 tester is not going to do the same job as a spark's MFT costing £500-1000 but it should detect the worst of mistakes.

Fused, multi outlet extension leads are perfectly safe, just don't use those plug in, multiway, square block things, they are a bit sketchy.

Your best bet is to continue as you are until such time as you can get an electrician to carry out any work required.
Hi Dave thanks for the reply. I had read on another website that using a fused extention lead is fine as long as it doesn't exceed the 13 amp fuse, but that piggy-backing from one extension lead to another can overload the plug so is a potential fire risk?

As already said, get a professional in for putting in several sockets around the room, it will be done properly and tested, etc.

As a stop-gap, at most you could look at replacing the single socket with a double so you can more easily plug in a pair of 4-way or 6-way extension blocks. That should be fairly straightforward to do but you will need to make the hole bigger for a double-size back box.

Obviously you need to be very careful to properly isolate the power first, and also take care that the wires don't fall back behind the wall and out of reach while you are removing the old one and inserting the new back-box.

As a ring circuit there should be two cables joining at the back of it and you must take care they are all reconnected correctly. If you do not have one, get one of the plug testers to verify it is basically OK after any work.

Obviously a ~£10 tester is not going to do the same job as a spark's MFT costing £500-1000 but it should detect the worst of mistakes.
That's really useful advice thanks. Ive seen there are double plug conversion kits out there - double socket which fit into a single back-box so I wouldn't need to increase the hole (lazy I know). Do you know if these are these just as good? Thanks again for your help ?

One final thing to add - get a good quality socket (MK, Hager, British General, etc) especially if you want one with built-in USB charging.

Some of the cheap eBay style of stuff can be downright dangerous and they are energised all of the time!

If you look on YouTube I think John Ward has done a video on the internals of some of them (good and bad). Not the most exciting viewing perhpas but he is very informative and precise in the details.
[automerge]1588632193[/automerge]
That's really useful advice thanks. Ive seen there are double plug conversion kits out there - double socket which fit into a single back-box so I wouldn't need to increase the hole (lazy I know). Do you know if these are these just as good? Thanks again for your help ?
So long as you have enough cable to pull through to reach they will make your job much easier! Especially if its an old property with lath and plaster walls filled with horsehair that crumbles at the slightest touch!

If the wall is plasterboard then it is quite easy to get one of the "knife saw" sort of tools to make the hole bigger for the plastic clip-in style of boxes. Just take your time and take care to avoid damaging the cables when the saw is near them.

It is very unlikely, but if it is an odd hard thin-ish panel that is not clearly paster based or plywood DO NOT saw it but get it checked for asbestos first.

As long as you are competent to change the single to a double that's OK. Isolate and check that the existing cables are long enough for the double extension box and make sure all terminals, including the earth, are thoroughly secure.
In your situation, I don't consider this a lazy option.

Need to add plug sockets 1588633141092 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Need to add plug sockets 1588632992052 - EletriciansForums.net
    1588632992052.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
“Converta” sockets is one brand name, I’m sure there are more.

it is a lot of hassle breaking out a wall to take a double box, if you’re going to get it done properly at a later date. And if it’s a brick wall, you could be there for hours.

If you don’t mind me asking, how big is your house? One socket in a living room is very unusual, even for an old property.
How many sockets do you have in the kitchen?

I personally dont like the multi-way square blocks.
Why not just get yourself an 8 way extension lead, like below. This shouldn't be a problem as you say all the things being plugged in are low amperage.
They do them in different lengths.
I have to say I agree with DS regarding multi outlet fused extension leads, serving computer or AV equipment a good quality lead is no less safe than many of the rubbish socket outlets now manufactured and widely available. Of course they can be abused, but even then are fully protected against prolonged overload which will operate if several high load appliances are plugged in. I see just as many, if not more burnt out socket outlets as burnt out leads, and as often as not the burn out in both cases is caused by a poor plug rather than the socket outlet or lead. But as above, avoid the block type outlets which plug directly into the socket, gravity and the weight of plugs into them will cause poor connections and burnouts.

The better multi-outlets are ideal for that sort of job - many appliances with low power. Just don't go using one for all of the big stuff in a kitchen!

For more serious setups needing multiple sockets I have used Olsen before and they do quite a range and will also do custom versions if you need it:

Hi Dave thanks for the reply. I had read on another website that using a fused extention lead is fine as long as it doesn't exceed the 13 amp fuse, but that piggy-backing from one extension lead to another can overload the plug so is a potential fire risk?

If you overload it the fuse will blow, that's why the fuse is there. It will only become a problem if you keep repeatedly replacing and blowing the fuse,

If you overload it the fuse will blow, that's why the fuse is there. It will only become a problem if you keep repeatedly replacing and blowing the fuse,
A very good reason for the 'unexpected' failure of circuit breakers, or even worse, for sure.

Reply to Need to add plug sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock