Discuss Nema 6-20R Recepticle Compatibility In The Uk in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

toffeetop

Hi Guys

I am a complete dummy when it comes to electricial lingo so please excuse my ignorance. i hope you can help with a problem i am currently having.

i have recently bought an instrument that is breakthrough technology for Cancer Diagnostics in the uk, however this is an American instrument and comes with the following requirements

• Dedicated/Isolated 20 amp Circuit.
• 230 ± 10% Volts nominal AC, 50/60 Hz - NEMA 6-20R standard receptacle
• Ideally, power will be provided from an uninterruptible power source

I plan to link up a 10KVA UPS to a standard 13amp UK receptacle then from the UPS attache the 6-20P plug to an adaptor (with UK 3pin and 6-20R functionality) would this work or am i missing somthing realy obvious. i dont want to have a situation where i do not have enough power or short the adaptor or worse blow up the instrument as it costs £130k.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Joe

Given the cost of the equipment I would seek professional help. The warranty may be affected if you use an incorrect adaptor or if you fit an alternative plug.

Specifying a UPS is not as easy as it sounds either. There are several different types of UPS which offer different characteristics of operation. Also surge protection may or may not be an integral part of the UPS.

Also they specify a dedicated / isolated supply circuit so you'll probably need to contract a good electrician anyway.

• Dedicated/Isolated 20 amp Circuit

This just means that the circuit supplying the, equipment is solely for that equipment and has no other outlets for other appliances/equipment. In other words direct from the Distribution Board protective device to the the outlet for this equipment.

You don't say what the actual power requirement of the equipment is, only the recommended circuit rating. Depending on that rating, i can't see a problem with changing the US plug top to a UK standard plug top, although you may have to use a commercial 16A (commando style) if the equipments rating exceeds 13A.

Take Marvo's advice and contact the manufacturer to ask all of these relevant questions so that they can give you the guidance you need to set this bit of kit up safely....

Hi Joe,

The NEMA6-20 plug/recepticle is designed to connect equipment to two phases with a potential difference of 240V between them, i.e. the North American "split phase" standard. The plug/recepticle is limited to appliances requiring less that 5KW of power, so 10KVA UPS would have been overkill anyway.

You will not find a generally available UPS in the UK that will output two phase power at 240V, nor will you find an American UPS (that will output two phase power at 240V) that will accept the commonly available UK supplies of 230V(single phase)/400V(three phase).

Your best option is probably an autotransformer that will convert the UK 230V single phase supply to 240V two phase. As per Marvo & Engineer54's advice, I would run this idea by the manufacturer of the equipment.

Victron have a autotransformer unit that may be suitable. If the manufacture agrees this is suitable, you will need a good electrician to install it.

Good luck

Tony

Hi Joe,

The NEMA6-20 plug/recepticle is designed to connect equipment to two phases with a potential difference of 240V between them, i.e. the North American "split phase" standard. The plug/recepticle is limited to appliances requiring less that 5KW of power, so 10KVA UPS would have been overkill anyway.

You will not find a generally available UPS in the UK that will output two phase power at 240V, nor will you find an American UPS (that will output two phase power at 240V) that will accept the commonly available UK supplies of 230V(single phase)/400V(three phase).

Your best option is probably an autotransformer that will convert the UK 230V single phase supply to 240V two phase. As per Marvo & Engineer54's advice, I would run this idea by the manufacturer of the equipment.

Victron have a autotransformer unit that may be suitable. If the manufacture agrees this is suitable, you will need a good electrician to install it.

Good luck

Tony

Why do you think this equipment needs a split phase supply to it?? It maybe how the Yanks derive a 240V supply, but it certainly wouldn't make an halfpence of difference supplying this equipment with a line and neutral 240v supply as found in the UK!! The 230V you quote, is a make believe harmonisation figure, the actual supply voltage in the UK, will still be as it's always been 240V!! lol!!

The very last thing you would supply a delicate instrument through, is an auto-transformer!!! Nothing wrong with supplying this equipment via a 10KVA UPS either, it will give that little bit longer, running time on the batteries....

H guys Thanks for all your advice. Just to add a little more background on myself: I am a distributed for this company and I had to buy it in for a trial in the NHS, my questions were relating to a site survey, which just so happened to be the wrong one that they sent me, (USA placement as opposed to the uk requirements) so I have been told that it will run off a 13amp circuit and has UK plugs so I should be ok now. Again thanks for the education.

H guys Thanks for all your advice. Just to add a little more background on myself: I am a distributed for this company and I had to buy it in for a trial in the NHS, my questions were relating to a site survey, which just so happened to be the wrong one that they sent me, (USA placement as opposed to the uk requirements) so I have been told that it will run off a 13amp circuit and has UK plugs so I should be ok now. Again thanks for the education.

There you go then, ...Sorted!! lol!!

Thanks for coming back and updating us!!

Same here, thanks for letting us know it was resolved, it's always good to get some follow up info.

Reply to Nema 6-20R Recepticle Compatibility In The Uk in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net