Discuss New kid on the block. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Sorry for the late introduction. Joined up about 1mth ago. Had been stocking this site for a while.

Background, 16th edition from early 90's (1990 NOT 1890), didn't enjoy the work at the time (didn't get on with my employer - felt like his personal slave - the joys of me being young/immature thought I knew better and didn't understand the concept of having to start at the bottom and work you way up).

So studied for degree in electrical and electronic engineering, while still doing electrics on the side for friends, family and friends of friends which helped to fund my way through uni.

First job post uni was working for a large computer company, doing failure analysis on various components, before moving around the computer industry (and world) for next ~15 years, supplier/quality engineering, compliance engineering, customer support, project management, etc.. - while still doing electrics a few times a year to help out friends and family, when needed.

Took a career change at end of the noughties as industry in UK was drying up and didn't fancy moving permanently to the US. So ended up in teaching and moving to a rural location, which has sparked (pardon the pun) interest in electrics again, due to high demand in the area. So when not teaching, then I continue to help out new friends with electrics (changing CU, rewires, etc..)

Over the years I've kept up to date with regs and best practices. - but never bothered sitting any exams - couldn't justify the cost and had no plans do this full time.

However as I'm getting more and more requests in from friends of friends then I had planned to sit the 18th edition, but with Covid-19 then no idea when I'll be able to do this.

Anyway will hopefully be able to share some of my experiences and also learn from yourselves at the same time. - everyday is a school day.

Welcome to the loony bin. (are we allowed to say that nowadays?)

Much the same boat as me, i was qualified by the early ninieties though. Went to uni and funded it working pt as a spark.

Which part of Scotland? we've got them from the highlands, lowlands, and even some from glasgow.

and even some from glasgow.
1592324023819.png

welcome to the club,
there are some really good sparks here with excellent knowledge to assist you in your journey.

it was an excellent intro, more info than some people put on a job application!!

wish you the best in your voyage to earning your first million as a self employed sparky.

p.s. I know a little about this electric stuff too. if you touch it, it will hurt you.
problem is, you cant hit it back to get revenge.

welcome to the club,
there are some really good sparks here with excellent knowledge to assist you in your journey.

it was an excellent intro, more info than some people put on a job application!!

wish you the best in your voyage to earning your first million as a self employed sparky.

p.s. I know a little about this electric stuff too. if you touch it, it will hurt you.
I know nothing about other than it hurts!....?

welcome to the club,

Thanks James.

Don't tell anyone, but I only work for tea and biscuits when working for friends, or friends of friends. It's a nice surprise for them at the end when they try to pay.

It would of course be a different, if I was doing this for a living (not sure if my knees could take it if I was doing this full time). I have to said to few friends at the end of a job, in the not too distant pass, that I would have walked off site, if I was been paid, as a full time spark would not have put up with all of their last minute changes. :grimacing:

So I have no plans to become a millionaire (in the financial sense), but already living a millionaire lifestyle at the moment, isolated on beautiful island surrounded by whisky with a great community, and thankfully Covid-19 free at the moment. Plus the only major crime on the island is the fuel price. What more could you ask for?

Good man, beautiful part of the world......jealous? Only a lot ?
Feel free to pop across once restrictions have been lifted. More than happy to show you around. Has been know for tourists to camp out in my front garden, to take the view in.

I joke with the wife that we're on an extended holiday, as the place is stunning and its costing us and arm and a leg to live here, but its worth every penny.

Attachments

• Aerial_Keills1.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 19

Reply to New kid on the block. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net