Discuss No Equipotential Bonding to Water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Excuse me for poking my nose in and definitely no offence meant .....but ! I need this answering.
The amount of immersions I have come accross where the fuse has melted the switch fused spur, I've lost count Of.

If voltage is running low ( 230 ). You're immersion's 13A fuse in the switched fused spur, is going to be hot. It will not blow as you know but it can do damage.

I personally ( Heating Engineer, not Electrician), would not be able to bring myself to leave it. It would be a case of telling customer, it needs re-wiring correctly on its own independent supply, 16A breaker and RCD ( or RCBO ) and a 20 A DP switch for customer plus 20 A DP Switch next to immersion.

What are your thoughts ?
Is this over kill ?
Personally I am with you.
I have 250v at my house today, I know that is over the usual, but there you go. Fed from overhead transformer 250 ish yards away.

Dedicated circuit on 16 amp breaker with a 20 amp double pole neon switch.
Never have the problems that I have to go and fix on others installed as you describe.
Nowt wrong with belt and braces.

As has been pointed out all work - no matter how small - needs the earthing and bonding arrangements to be adequate for the protective measure (ADS). If they are not then this needs to be done. You cannot issue a certificate stating that there is no main protective bonding where it is needed for the work the certificate relates to.

Strictly speaking you should have refused to carry out the work unless and until the main bonding issue was rectified.

As has been pointed out all work - no matter how small - needs the earthing and bonding arrangements to be adequate for the protective measure (ADS). If they are not then this needs to be done. You cannot issue a certificate stating that there is no main protective bonding where it is needed for the work the certificate relates to.

Strictly speaking you should have refused to carry out the work unless and until the main bonding issue was rectified.
I agree, though morally it can be a difficult situation to deal with.
There can be situations where by if you walk away you could be leaving a more potentially dangerous situation than no bonding installed.

Ok so by rights you should isolate and lock off until the situation is rectified. But you know as much as we all do in reality this is not going to happen.

Wrong or right, I guess my conscience gets the better of me sometimes, and sticking strictly to the book gets awkward.

I agree, though morally it can be a difficult situation to deal with.
There can be situations where by if you walk away you could be leaving a more potentially dangerous situation than no bonding installed.

Ok so by rights you should isolate and lock off until the situation is rectified. But you know as much as we all do in reality this is not going to happen.

Wrong or right, I guess my conscience gets the better of me sometimes, and sticking strictly to the book gets awkward.
I understand all that, but the problem with leaving a Minor Works Cert stating that the main protective bonding is inadequate or non-existant or whatever is that you are actually leaving a document which contradicts itself (because despite what the declaration states it doesn't comply with BS7671) and more importantly you are leaving documentary evidence that you have left the installation in an unsafe condition (backed up by your signature).

The thing is he states , "Also appears there is no EP bond on the main incoming water supply to the property".
I do think at least he should of made sure.

I know it is a bit of a play on words , but it gives me the impression that it is not verified.

And the only ensure way to do that is test it, and the only way to do that is in it's disconnection & wander lead test. So going on from my thread 'http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...n-additions-alterartions.114349/#post-1216419', depending on the installation work being carried, do you do just that. I admit, on certain small jobs, I do not 'test' the earthing and bonding, I only carry out visual inspection; if there is a bonding cable leaving the MET and there is a bonding cable attached to the gas pipe, I will note that on the MEWIC.

I understand all that, but the problem with leaving a Minor Works Cert stating that the main protective bonding is inadequate or non-existant or whatever is that you are actually leaving a document which contradicts itself (because despite what the declaration states it doesn't comply with BS7671) and more importantly you are leaving documentary evidence that you have left the installation in an unsafe condition (backed up by your signature).
I do agree with all these points but the Minor Works asks you to comment on the existing installation, if there is no bonding then comment on it and make its ommission clear to the client and how they should proceed.

I do agree with all these points but the Minor Works asks you to comment on the existing installation, if there is no bonding then comment on it and make its ommission clear to the client and how they should proceed.
But the Minor Works Cert is declaring that your work complies with BS 7671:2008 (2015). It clearly doesn't if there is inadequate or non-existant main protective bonding. That's not the purpose of the Comments on Existing Installation section - it's not a means for carrying out non-compliant/unsafe work.

If there was no means of Earthing for the installation would you carry out the work and write in Comments on Existing Installation "Installation unearthed"?

I am in agreement with David. Of course I wouldn't carry out works like additional sockets etc unless fundamental requirements were in place. If someone however had a seriously broken/dangerous socket I am not going to say, sorry can't do that your water isn't bonded, if as you say there is no means of earthing I would obviously try to resolve this.

If someone however had a seriously broken/dangerous socket I am not going to say, sorry can't do that your water isn't bonded, if as you say there is no means of earthing I would obviously try to resolve this.
So would you issue a certificate for the replacement socket then stating that the installation is not bonded? And if so how is the declaration that the work complies with BS 7671 truthful?

I am getting your drift here, there are so many scenarios to this. If remedial works are required to prevent a dangerous situation I will do it providing that part I have remedied has removed the threat, if the existing installation has outstanding issues such as lack of bonding to services I can only advise the client and note it under the Comments. This isn't a perfect world and few installations are fully conversant with the necessary requirements.

Well yes, but I would not be going round looking at the whole installation , the job is to change a broken socket nothing more nothing less.
True very true it is just a policy we have but most of our remedials follow EICR so we have already pulled it apart

Reply to No Equipotential Bonding to Water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net