Discuss Power to Shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Donkey_uk

DIY
Reaction score
HI Can anyone please advise me on the correct rcd and cable for power to my shed

I would like to run a power lead from the consumer unit to my shed , my unit has RCBOs, should I use a 16am RCD A / B or RCBO from the main board? This will then go to my shed into a 2 switch consumer (shed unit) also what size cable should I use. I know I should use SWA but I would run this above ground and along a wall and I will also put this inside cable trunking, so would normal 6mm twin & Earth cable be ok?

I will be running the following in my shed

Freezer

Tumble dryer

2 Sockets

2 outside light and 1 inside

I would like to run a power lead from the consumer unit to my shed , my unit has RCBOs, should I use a 16am RCD or RCBO from the main board? This will then go to my shed into a 2 switch consumer (shed unit) also what size cable should I use. I know I should use SWA but I would run this above ground and along a wall and I will also put this inside cable trunking, so would normal 6mm twin & Earth cable be ok?
advise a spark in part p job.

Adding a new circuit to the CU in notifiable work in England & Wales under Part P of the building regulations.

While you can get the paperwork done via the council, they will charge you far more than an electrician who is already a member of one of the "competant person" schemes such as NICEIC (or SELECT in Scotland).

Simplest option is to find a registered electrician and discuss what you want.

You can save money by doing the donkey work of installing the cable, but you have to have all of that agreed in advance as the electrician is the one signing off the work and they need to know the right cable was used and installed in a suitable manner. Their --- is on the line if it goes wrong.

Typically a tumble dryer uses quite a lot of current, I would be very sceptical of having that along with a freezer, etc, on an extension lead. If it goes you loose the food!

Your original idea, a dedicated circuit, is best by far but you really ought to be sizing it for at least 20A if feeding that lot.

If the freezer has valuable amounts of food in it you might want to consider having it on a dedicated circuit, or arranging some sort of alarm in the event of power loss.

If you have to use an "extension lead" arrangement to avoid the Part P restrictions and cost, then please at least use outdoor rated cable to make one up, such as H07RN-F like this:
That is probably OK to around 30-40m on voltage drop, otherwise you would need to look at 2.5mm even for a 13A extension.

You still need to clip it away from any mechanical dangers, and it is not suitable for burial in the ground, but it is easy to work with and fairly cheap (sold by the metre in many places). At the shed it can be terminated in a 4-way 13A socket block and you can plug things in there, also any lights on a plug with 3A fuse.

Reply to Power to Shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net