Discuss Puzzled by electrician comments about earth fault. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Our house has just had an electrical safety check by a qualified electrician. He said he had found an earth fault but was called away on another job and can't return for three weeks. Meantime, I am left wondering about his comments and would like to get a better understanding.

He said we had an earth fault. He was in a rush and I didn't catch exactly what he said. The gist of it was that he had a reading that was (I think 0.35 up), which he said was quite a bit, something about being worth a whole mains ring. I asked him which circuit it was on and he seemed to dismiss the question; I got the feeling my question was somehow irrelevant, meaning the fault is some kind of 'general' fault.

My knowledge of mains consumer electricity is basic but - assuming the house has an efficient ground spike and the incoming connection to the consumer box is sound - how can an earth fault not be related to a specific circuit?

He asked me one strange question: he asked if we had any sockets that he didn't know about. I couldn't think at the time but there are two. Could these be at fault? If so, how? Are we talking about some kind of 'leak' between earth and a neutral or live wire. And if this were the case, surely he would know which circuit the fault was on? And could I do a temporary fix by disconnecting these two sockets (and making safe the wires)?

Sorry for the general nature of this question. I'm just trying to gain a bit more understanding.

Kind wishes - Patrick

I really think you are going to have to phone him, or get another electrician around to test for faults. If it is any comfort, no decent electrician would leave your house with a fault that might be dangerous, even if they "had a call". So I think you can assume it is more anomalous than dangerous and will require further investigation.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines, and applying a healthy dose of guess work.

I am still none the wiser, I think a call to the electrician to explain would be useful.

Hopefully it will be detailed in the report that they send you.

We are missing a few details, but an earth fault could be a simple fix and not necessarily dangerous.
Could just be something plugged in, an outside socket with a little damp or a usb charger???

if mr spark can’t return for 3 weeks, it doesn’t sound too bad. (Or he would have isolated and told you not to use it)

Did you ask him just to check your house as it was due, or is this for a landlord check before tenancy?

it could be a low IR reading due to something still plugged in, or a neon on a switch.
it could also be a high Zs (EFLI) on a socket circuit. In either case, I can't see it being an immediate danger.

He asked me one strange question: he asked if we had any sockets that he didn't know about. I couldn't think at the time but there are two. Could these be at fault? If so, how? Are we talking about some kind of 'leak' between earth and a neutral or live wire. And if this were the case, surely he would know which circuit the fault was on?

Its not a strange question at all, there are often sockets not used or hidden behind, cupboards & furniture etc.. prior knowledge of these will not only make the inspection more thorough but also speed up the process and make life more simple when looking for a fault (as you appear to possibly have).

EasyGoingPat said:
And could I do a temporary fix by disconnecting these two sockets (and making safe the wires)?
No, don't do any alterations yourself you might either make the problem worse or create a bigger problem that's potentially more dangerous. Get the electrician back or another one in to investigate further!

EasyGoingPat said:
Sorry for the general nature of this question. I'm just trying to gain a bit more understanding.

Kind wishes - Patrick
No problem, asking questions first is always best practice, especially if you want to gain a further understanding. But please follow the sound advice of the good folk on this forum.

TBH this person you had in is a little bit less than professional in my opinion, even given the 'urgent' job he had to go on he still should have ensured you were fully informed and that you actually understood what he was saying, the fact you are on here asking such questions demonstrates a failure on his part in his customer relations. I would have at least have thought a follow up call would have been done if indeed he had to rush off so quickly to ensure you understood the situation.

I am not knocking his electrical knowledge and/or work here but clearly his methods of informing the customer in a way that is easy to understand and doesn't leave them confused is something to be desired, it's a shame you are not taught how to interact with the customer on electrical courses, it is just as crucial as doing a good safe job thus been recommended for future work and new customers.

Last edited:
Sounds to me that although he’s diagnosed the fault, possibly, he has no idea how to or interest in finding and repairing it for you, 3 weeks with no real explanation is not something I’d ever do to a customer, in your position I’d call another spark.....and if you do please let us know his findings, we like that sort of thing here ?

Our house has just had an electrical safety check by a qualified electrician. He said he had found an earth fault but was called away on another job and can't return for three weeks. Meantime, I am left wondering about his comments and would like to get a better understanding.

So your electrician is called away to another job and can't return for 3 weeks how many more jobs in the next 3 weeks is he going to be called away from that delays his return to resolve your problem. Have you paid this guy if so you need to get a copy of his report if you haven't bin him and get someone else who will resolve the problem without running away

Sounds to me that although he’s diagnosed the fault, possibly, he has no idea how to or interest in finding and repairing it for you, 3 weeks with no real explanation is not something I’d ever do to a customer, in your position I’d call another spark.....and if you do please let us know his findings, we like that sort of thing here ?

He has gone to a short course on fault finding 3 weeks should give him everything he needs to know:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So your electrician is called away to another job and can't return for 3 weeks how many more jobs in the next 3 weeks is he going to be called away from that delays his return to resolve your problem. Have you paid this guy if so you need to get a copy of his report if you haven't bin him and get someone else who will resolve the problem without running away

He has gone to a short course on fault finding 3 weeks should give him everything he needs to know:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Cleary the other person’s problem is more important than yours op....it’s fair enough he may not have the time there and then to sort but to leave you with no explanation is not cool ?

Cleary the other person’s problem is more important than yours op....it’s fair enough he may not have the time there and then to sort but to leave you with no explanation is not cool ?

I forgot to mention that the report goes to the landlord, so I'm not sure I will see a copy. I'll do my best to get an explanation out of him when he returns. And I'll be sure to post it on here to tie all of this thread up.

Landlords can be the worst mate, I went to a job yesterday where the tenant had had no lights for 4 months, due to lockdown apparently the landlord couldn’t get any one out ?

It's possible given the OP mentioned 0.35.....and the electrician was asking about additional sockets that he got a low IR and suspects a surge adaptor plugged in somewhere. 0.35 would be an expected reading.
But thats just a guess without further information.

I forgot to mention that the report goes to the landlord, so I'm not sure I will see a copy. I'll do my best to get an explanation out of him when he returns. And I'll be sure to post it on here to tie all of this thread up.

You should receive a copy of the condition report the same as you do the gas certificate, this is a legal requirement.

The electrician may be referring to earth reading taken at the incoming supply. 0.35 Ohms is the maximum permitted ze reading for a TNC-S system , Just A guess though I afraid . Just going by the mentioned of Mains ,but not sure what the sockets have to do with this

Reply to Puzzled by electrician comments about earth fault. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net