Discuss Really Need Some advise Urgently in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

it was ament to be portrait at the front as well however it dose overhang onto the neighbours roof by 3cm this was ok with her for the back but not the front.

i would really prefered it to be the same front and back but b4 any discusions they had allready put the rails up in landscape ,

i dont like being able to see the brackets as it really makes it look even worse so i dont know what can be done to resolve this, they will be romoving all the panels in the next week to level it correctly so if you have any ideas on the best way on how to save this i would love to know as im thinking about printing this thread out and giving it to him.

Overhanging the neighbour's roofspace isn't a great idea. The next neighbour might not be so charitable! It sounds like the surveyor wasn't very good at using his tape measure.

They seem to have kept a 30cm clearance from the edge of the roof as recommended in the regs. The rails and clamps at the back are okish. Maybe the lowest could be a few cm lower but it looks ok and should hold.

Not sure if the cables are tied up to stop them rubbing against the tiles. The fifth photo seems to show a dangling cable.

Might be perspective, but pic 5 isoverhanging the gutter a bit, seen a lot worse in the loft though.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be perspective, but pic 5 isoverhanging the gutter a bit, seen a lot worse in the loft though.

Hmmm, they do look rather high, the maximum the panels should be from the roof tiles is 200mm, not to sure how they have managed to fit them so unevenly though.
Still, they said they will sort it, so let's wait and see!

Overhanging the neighbour's roofspace isn't a great idea. The next neighbour might not be so charitable! It sounds like the surveyor wasn't very good at using his tape measure.

They seem to have kept a 30cm clearance from the edge of the roof as recommended in the regs. The rails and clamps at the back are okish. Maybe the lowest could be a few cm lower but it looks ok and should hold.

Not sure if the cables are tied up to stop them rubbing against the tiles. The fifth photo seems to show a dangling cable.

Is that a reg.... seen that at several installs (on this road, and for a friend).

Would like to know because when I saw it I thought "thats going to rub"

it is a requirement that cables are protected from chafing. That means tied up or run in the rails.

The overhang on those middle panels of the landscape ones is far too much, the left hand bracket needs to be further along. The portrait ones look a bit too much as well, need to check the manufacturers reccomendation.

If they have used cross rails to mount the brackets landscape then thats why they sit off a lot. Horizontal rails are installed, then another set of rails on top.
For landscape we only use panels that can be mounted on the short side to get round this.

Incidently, what panels did they quote for and what did they fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
With all that weight, I do hope you have got a copy of the structural calcs as well, and yes calculations are mandatory, else how does the installer prove that the roof is strong enough.

My main worry would be going in the loft every 3 mths to read the meter why put it there thats not right !!!!!

Can the brackets not be adjusted without removing the panels the system mounting system we use you can adjust the brackets easy

No the panels where rite they where to be sharp 250w and that is what they installed. I did not get a roof report he said that the roof would be fine though I guess having a report would be best I think some can be adjusted without moving the panels but u can't get at the middle.

You should have structural calculations for the added weight, so you are compliant with building regulations, you should also have wind calculations and a part P certificate.

You do not need to get building regs, but you should be compliant with them.

hi everyone just an update

well the installers came back yesterday and removed all the panels from the from of the house and leveled all the brackets and lowered them and all i can say is that its a much better job leaves me wondering why this was not done at the start but its fixed now so supose thats all that counts

the inverter is ordered and getting replaced next weekend and the screen on the other on will be swaped out so happy days

i got them to wire the front in one large string to keep the voltage up and the other thing that i noticed is that the sharp panels hav a max amp off 8.3 so 2 strings would total 16.6 and the inverter is onley rated for 15amp is this likley to cause a problem or would it be ok ?

i have been trying to find another 6kw east west split to comprare with but have had no luck would anyone be able to point me in the rite direction ?

the other thing that i noticed is that the sharp panels hav a max amp off 8.3 so 2 strings would total 16.6 and the inverter is onley rated for 15amp is this likley to cause a problem or would it be ok ?
would I be right in thinking you already know the answer to this question?

i have been trying to find another 6kw east west split to comprare with but have had no luck would anyone be able to point me in the rite direction ?
we have one we monitor remotely. I could probably download some data and send it to you if you tell me what data you're actually looking for. It's in Leeds.

would I be right in thinking you already know the answer to this question?

I'm sure it should be one large string

we have one we monitor remotely. I could probably download some data and send it to you if you tell me what data you're actually looking for. It's in Leeds.

just looking for daily out puts and to see what times the panels peak at. we have had some nice day here and have not seen either system go above 1.8kw however as one of my inverters is second hand i can look back at the data from the start of the month when the inverter was installed on a different site and it seems to peak allmost every day ?

Reply to Really Need Some advise Urgently in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net