Discuss Recommend me a network switch? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bit of background, finished wiring my place a while back and I have run cat6 to numerous places around the house. I've installed hundreds and hundreds of data cables in the past and have a reasonable idea of how it all works, however I could do with some input from more experienced (in setting up networks etc) members here.

All points (18) are run back to to the loft and terminated with crimped plugs. Around the house I've used rj45 modules next to sockets etc. All tested fine for continuity and polarity. I'd like to have the router in the loft as it would be a nice central position in the house (single storey) - the incoming BT supply is in the corner of the house and I have 2 cat6 run to adjacent.

1. My understanding is I need a network switch to get all my 18 points ready to use? Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Possibly 24 way.

2. If my router were to stay next to the bt master in the corner of the house I could then patch it into the rj45 socket adjacent and then into the network switch in the loft, which would then split it around the house?

3. Alternatively, if I wanted to place the router in the loft I would have to use 2 of these CLICK to connect the phone line through the cat6 to the loft where the router is, then it can go into the network switch to get all my points around the house working?

Be grateful for any advice. Want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything and get it all straight in my head before I start ordering kit!

Cheers

At the moment I don't think so, however it may be a good idea to future proof somewhat if the cost difference isn't huge?

At the moment I would only be using it for desktop computer, games machines, tv, set top box, laptops so I don't think I require POE. However I have been thinking about cameras and NAS in the future so I guess POE would be a good idea?

One example, but have a look at their range, they have POE and some are part POE, part non POE.
I would leave the router near the phone socket as they still do appear to need a reboot every now and again, so saves scrabbling in the loft. Switches however seam to go on for ages.

do you want a unmanaged one or managed switch. unmanaged are usually easier as its just plug and play whilst managed require a little bit of setup as you can control each port.

Nothing wrong with Netgear kit if you need a dumb switch, just needs a 230 AC supply for the PSI. completely up to you where you put it but mine is also n the loft and has never needed a reboot in the last eight years.

What are the benefits of a managed switch?

To be honest I'll probably want something that's plug and play, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Managed switches offer much more control over the traffic to give a consistent service when all users are bashing away. For a house i cannot imagine any benefit, in fact un-managed switches can perform better as there is nothing for it to think about.. lol - HP also do a good range of managed switches but as a general guide, the more high end switches like HP, Cisco and the like, the more quirky they are to setup.

I think setting one up successfully may be a bit of a stretch too far with my knowledge!

The biggest bashing it will ever get is 3 or 4 consoles (occassionally have a gaming evening with friends!) trying to pay online concurrently which I assume an unmanaged switch will deal with ok?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input.

I've decided I want to have the option of POE for future use. The Netgear switches all seem to be managed that offer POE and 24 ports. If it's a managed switch can it still be 'plug and play' with the option of management or does it require setting up before you can use it?

Thinking of mounting it in something like THIS in the loft to stop it getting whacked and some protection from dust etc. Good idea?

Thanks again

The Netgear prosafe S3300 28X POE will fire up defaulted to an "unmanaged setup" all ports POE open - i have just installed 3. They have a 10G up/down link, nice. I also know the HP ones don't as i have just installed one (and i ended up with their tech support cos the web interface is *hit)

Reply to Recommend me a network switch? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock