Discuss Replacing LAP 'Clip-on front plate with cutting edge design' in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marianne

Any trick to replacing the front covering after removal for wallpapering? I got the fan switch cover back on, but the light switch cover just keeps popping off. LAP 1-Gang 2-Way 10AX Light Switch Brushed Chrome Product Code: 68137 from Screwfix.

I have four more to go!!

Many thanks.

They look as though they just press on , make sure the wallpaper is cut far enough back to allow it into the clip; Oh and put the power off before you try! Just because the light is off does not mean the switch is not live.

Hello and thanks - yes, they should just 'pop' on, as the fan switch did, but the light switch just pops off each time I try. I wonder if the little prongs on the back have got bent out of position? It looks that they create some sort of tension. I'll give it another go!

Marianne

ruston
Re: Replacing LAP 'Clip-on front plate with cutting edge design'
They look as though they just press on , make sure the wallpaper is cut far enough back to allow it into the clip; Oh and put the power off before you try! Just because the light is off does not mean the switch is not live.​

If the wall is not completely flat then the base plate can become distorted if screwed tightly to the wall and prevent the covers clipping on, try relaxing the screws into the wall a little (but not enough to make it slip).

In an ideal world the wall would be perfectly flat which is what they are designed to be used on.
In the real world, funnily enough, nothing ever is as it should be and it seems that the designers specifically cater for this by adding their special frustration/annoyance/agression factor.

The side of the switch that's not on view to the room needs to be tightened first, leaving about 1/8"
Then tighten the other side so it's flush.
Then slowly tighten the first side and see whether the top or bottom edge touches first.
Now rip your smoke packet into bits and pack out where the gap is without distorting the base plate.

A bit of trial and error similar to getting your grid switch plate exactly right.

Reply to Replacing LAP 'Clip-on front plate with cutting edge design' in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back