Discuss Ripped off by cowboy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You never mentioned a dodgy joint in your original post.

It is not an existing kitchen, sir. It is a bare kitchen.

The 1.8m cable has a join in it. Edit: the join is a type of bridge connector, connecting the boiler white cable with a pre-existing isolator switch cable that was dangling from the previous kitchen installation.
Water can touch this connector because it will run under the kitchen sink.

I can understand your frustration, if you feel you’ve been had over, but from your tone here, I suspect you think ‘we’ are closing ranks. Nothing further from the truth; if you puruse some threads on this forum, the guys are quite critical of each other.

Some ‘customers’ have a concept of what an electrical install should be like, and on the face of it, yours doesn’t sound as if it’s very good.

But pictures may help us make an abstract decision.

as above.without pictures, we're guessing. description is OK up to a point, but sometimes your description may give wrong impression so something that is OK may seem bad, and vice versa. we need pics. but please not of cheesecake. spoon is already drooling.:):):)o_O:dizzy::mad::confused:

If after seeing the photos and I think it’s bad workmanship or a safety issue I will say so and I will criticise him.
but I am trying to be objective and don’t want to start second guessing what may or may not be. It would be unfair on the first electrician to do so if he has done nothing wrong.

I’ve commented on what your second electrician has stated only.

Sorry if you think my comments are wishy washy nonsense.

I’m trying to give you an informed opinion on requirement in electrical installation which I presume is what you wanted.

I think what some of the guy's are saying is watch out as you might find that electrician 1 has been a little shoddy or even "followed what you asked for to the letter) albeit his apprentice drilled through wall 6 times - i mean that is careless but can usually be "fixed" pretty easily.
It is difficult to do electrical work without ANY decorating.
Like I say though the chaps are trying to make sure electrician number 2 is not just making it all up to suit a "concerned customer" with the aim of having you over for hundreds of pounds more when strictly speaking you may not need to.

Kitchen design for this wall: partition 1 (60cms) free standing fridge, partition 2 (60cms) builtin oven under a normal worktop, partition 3 (60cms) hob, partition 4 (30cms) a unit, partition 5 (60cms) free standing washing machine.

Fridge socket over on left — no changes here.

Chasing in the wall leading to the box: this has been deepened and widened based on 2nd electrician’s instruction. Prior, it was half as wide and less deep. 2ndEl plans to house to cables in the widened channel.

The blue cable fed the power switch of the oven in the old kitchen.

Nigel had decided to have no use for this channel and box — wanted them filled in. Instead, he extended the blue cable to the right and hung it on a clip. Nigel repurposed it to feed the hob directly without switches intervening. The length of the cable is too short to reach the hob but Nigel thought it’ll make it just.

Attachments

• Ripped off by cowboy 5E850FAF-F528-4F4F-B210-AEEE0DFB0177 - EletriciansForums.net
    5E850FAF-F528-4F4F-B210-AEEE0DFB0177.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 137
The chasing for a box and a channel is new and was carried out as per 2ndEl instruction. Ignore that for now.

Nigel’s plan for the bottom row was:

Feed the oven from the first white socket. The double socket will feed the washing machine and have a spare socket. He blanked the middle socket.

At worktop level: Nigel installed a new socket through chasing a box in the wall and feeding it through the grey cable from the bottom row.

Along that same worktop row: he installed two spurs (one for the hood), and one for the under cabinet lights, followed by a spare double socket for general kitchen use.

Attachments

• Ripped off by cowboy 882B4A2A-D5CD-4A37-A1BB-CA409807E4EE - EletriciansForums.net
    882B4A2A-D5CD-4A37-A1BB-CA409807E4EE.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 130
Note everything at the worktop level is in this picture is new and is Nigel’s work.

There was a fair amount of chasing here. Four boxes plus the white-covered vertical chasing.

The deep, rectangular chasing up top — that’s not Nigel’s work and is based on 2ndEl’s instruction.

The way Nigel left it was he left the two grey cables at the pencilled line. He hung one of them off a clip which is not far from the pencilled line, and the other he pulled diagonally and hung at the clips just above the newly-drilled box.

Attachments

• Ripped off by cowboy 626995AD-1081-420D-A6FF-B2ACF8D4B954 - EletriciansForums.net
    626995AD-1081-420D-A6FF-B2ACF8D4B954.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
The boiler is fed via the cable on the opposite wall. You can see there are two joins there. This long cable was supposed to run under the kitchen sink unit.

The two cables coming out of the wall connect to the spurs shown in the second picture. One for the boiler, one for the dishwasher, which supposed to be in the corner.

Attachments

• Ripped off by cowboy 5A20FC99-3D56-4EB2-9BA3-B289655C7990 - EletriciansForums.net
    5A20FC99-3D56-4EB2-9BA3-B289655C7990.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 124
  • Ripped off by cowboy 36E9A440-074B-4D2B-8C59-F23CB421FC60 - EletriciansForums.net
    36E9A440-074B-4D2B-8C59-F23CB421FC60.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
  • Ripped off by cowboy 050C70F3-8283-4EAC-9D1B-478DD2B5FCF4 - EletriciansForums.net
    050C70F3-8283-4EAC-9D1B-478DD2B5FCF4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 114
If it were me and this is just my personal view , I would re-wire the lot before even attempting to set the new kitchen units in.
For a good experienced sparks it a days work , day and half tops to fully re-wire that small kitchen space...

I’m not quite sure the blue cable is suitable to provide a supply for a cooker point.

The cable for the boiler supply needs replacing, to remove unnecessary joints, and fixed to the wall; the service void under the floor units could be used.

The cable from above the worktop to the sockets below, should either be flushed in or run on the surface; a combination of both is not very good workmanship.

I’ve used plastic trunking to run cables in the floor service void, but I would normally wait for the plaster finish to be completed.

All in all, it’s not a very professional finish, even at just the first fix stage. I wonder about the rest of the install, that this alteration is joining up to?

Guys,

The 2nd electrician has done a runner. He did not turn up today. Despite confirming on whatsapp on Thursday and despite new chasing having been instructed based on his new requirements.

Both electricians were sourced via mybuilder.

I am cornered and need to move quickly.

What’s the least amount of work necessary to finish this job?

I rung around several local electricians but it seems that they are loathe to “finish” each other’s work. Nobody wants the job.

If I find someone, can you advise on specific, clear instructions to conclude the job ASAP?

Look , this is not rocket science. You need the kitchen rewired before you start putting units in.
It’s an absolute bread and butter job for any domestic electrician.
It’s about a day or twos work max.
This shouldn’t be that difficult for you to find a local electrician willing to do it.
Don’t ask for people ‘to finish of another’s botched work’ but ask for a quote on a full kitchen rewire.
I note your London area , try my trusted electrician or Thomas Nagy

Reply to Ripped off by cowboy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock