Discuss Tax code/ p60 problem for an employed spark in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Southern Spark

First off, im not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, so apologies if it is not.
I am facing a bit of a dilemma, and I am not really sure what to do. I am an employed electrician, I have been with my current employer for 3 1/2 years, and whilst I love the type of work I do (I do industrial work and a lot of very high end houses) my bosses lack of organisation is really getting to me.
I keep on telling him that I need my p60, because I claim child tax credits and housing benefit I need to prove how much I earn. He keeps dragging his heels over it and just making snide comments, such as 'keep going on about it I will give you your p45'. I have told him that if I do not have it soon I will lose my house, anything im entitled to and have to pay back everything I claimed last year. (im not sure all of this is true, i just thought that if i said this he might pull his finger out). I keep phoning hm revenue and customs to sort it out, but they tell me they cant enforce anything. The conversation I had today went briefly like this:

Me: I need my p60 to claim back all the excess tax I paid last year.

Them: Why do you think you have paid too much tax?

Me: because I have been on the wrong tax code for 3 1/2 years and no matter how many times I tell hmrc and my boss/ his accountant it never gets changed.

them: well how much do you earn a year?

Me: I am not too sure to be honest, because i have not received a payslip since about October 2010.

The guy on the phone thought my predicament was ridiculous but said there is not much he can do about it. after a while he said he will send me a letter saying how much tax I have over paid, closely followed by a cheque, which i was grateful for, but said there is nothing more ha can do.

So right now i am currently in limbo. No matter what i say to my boss, he will just make a wise crack. And i dont want to just tell him to get stuffed because work is scarce and what he doesnt know is that I am desperate for my tax rebate so I can relocate from the south to the midlands, and I need roughly ÂŁ1000 deposit and a months rent and him to give my future letting agent a reference. I have seen some houses last week that would of been perfect for my family, but I cant get my hands on ÂŁ2000 so I missed them. So today I have been brimming with anger, though I cant say anything to him, because once again he is in barbados!!!

I am such a laid back, patient guy, but I really think I cannot take a great deal more of this and I might do something stupid!!! (tell him to stuff his job, not kill him!!!!)

I could really do with some advice please.

Just to add, I sincerely believe that he is just useless, slack, unorganised and lazy. I genuinely dont believe he is doing anything dodgy, though I dont know how the system works so I may be a bit naive.

Sorry for ranting/ posting a stupidly long post/ any grammatical/spelling errors it has been one hell of a long day.

thanks and all the best.

If you have kept your payslips then thats a starter for 10 also you say your tax code has not been right for 3.5 years well I am afraid me thinks your boss is not working it well ie your tax code should be 740L or in other words ÂŁ7400 before tax that is ÂŁ600 a month before tax so if you earn ÂŁ1200 pounds a month then you will have a tax Bill of ÂŁ150 and then NI of ÂŁ56 ( dont quote me on this figure as I have worked it out as 7% of ÂŁ800. So if your tax code is say 340L this means that the tax man says you owe him ÂŁ1000 ie ÂŁ7400 - ÂŁ3400 = ÂŁ4000 - 25% = ÂŁ1000 If it is a zero code then the tax man cannot find any record of your previos payments hence he errs on the side of caution Best thing to do is speak to the tax man and ask what the problem is then go back to your boss and say thats the tax man contacted me aparently I have not been paying the right ammount of tax for the past 3 years so he has told me to send my P60s in for this period can you supply this and if not I am going to have to tell him you cannot supply this. This should light a fire under him

Thanks oldtimer, I would of kept my payslips had I received them. But Like I said, I think my last payslip was for october 2010. Which has also annoyed me. I am seriously considering reporting him to the tax man though i am sure he would just try and make my life hell. I cannot believe he is able to run a successful business like this, the problems I have posted really are the tip of the iceberg. I could go on all day about what an a**e he is, and all this for ÂŁ10 p/h!! I have to question myself if all the grief is worth the extra couple of quid an hour. I could work stress free in tescos stacking shelves and be happy with my thoughts all day long :)

oh and btw, i would go to citizens advice, but I get so much grief for taking time off work. Last week my wife was rushed to hospital, so I had two days off work. I was so shaken up by what happened to her and my (fingers crossed) unborn baby, when I called him that evening to tell him what had happened I could hardly speak, ( i was nearly in tears with the stress of being told my wife is seriously ill, and might lose the baby) I told him I need a couple of days off to go to the hospital and be with her. One day later he tried to book me into a job, I told him no chance!! on the second day he phoned me up and said 'where the **** are you, whats wrong with her, has she got a headache?' He also forgot I had booked tomorrow off work so I have had to work 13 hours today just to try and keep on top of the work load... all this whilst he swans about in his Range rover/ Blacked out Nissan Navaro or is skiing, or is in barbados... I dont know how I do it for the money. It made me laugh the other day when a plumber I regularly work with told me that he said... ' we dont appreciate what he does!!'

Reply to Tax code/ p60 problem for an employed spark in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net