Discuss Thoughts on DNO / Supply Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Albri87

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Some time last year a contractor who visited our house suggested that our mains supply cable coming into the house could be coated in asbestos containing materials but that it wouldnt be possible to sample it due to it being live electrics. He advised to contact the DNO for further information. My very limited research seems to suggest my cable might be PILC but it doesnt look like the black ones in many of the photos. Its also coated in some white stuff thats worn out on one side. Is this likely to be asbestos or could it just be paint? Do any of you know if asbestos has ever been used to wrap supply cables?

I have contacted the DNO and their response was that they can send some one out to 'assess' it and if its an old supply they might need to move it anyway.

As I'm hoping to move house anyway soon, I don't really want to end up with a huge bill and / or having to have my front room dug up so I'm a bit wary of what to do (the cable / meter etc is in a cupboard in the corner of the front room).

What are your thoughts?
What is the cable likely composed of?
Should I let the DNO come out and look at it?

Ive added photos from a couple of different angles.

Please note - Im just a homeowner and my knowledge of electronics doesn't go beyond gcse

Thanks

Al image2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

You should ask the dno to come and inspect that supply cable.
it looks well past it’s useful life and has obvious corrosion issues.
it may even cause problems with an upcoming house sale.

I suspect it is pitch impredgnated hessian around the lead outer and probably safe enough (in the toxic sense). However, the corroding earth clamp is a worry and the best folk to advise are the DNO.

Step one is get to get them to have a look, the two concerns being condition of cable and earthing arrangements.
The ability of your installation to safely turn itself off if something goes wrong depends on that earth connection and it needs looking at asap for that reason alone.
Generally speaking it's their problem to resolve and shouldn't cost you.
If they do decide it's unfit they may choose to put a box outside with a new supply in or bring the new cable through the wall instead, at any rate they don't want major disruption any more than you do.

As above, dont touch it contact the DNO and report the dodgy earth connection. If they inspect it and say it is ok safety wise you could consider spraying it with some black paint to make it look better.
I have never seen a pilc cable with an asbestos covering, the purpose of the hessian and pitch was to protect the armour from corrosion so there was no need to use asbestos. The pitch/hessian serving would have been covered in chalk to prevent the cable sticking to itself on the drum so the cable would have been white in colour.
I have seen asbestos wraped over the top of pilc cables in industrial locations but not in domestic.

This subject keeps surfacing, perhaps we should make it a sticky. No, it is very, very unlikely to contain asbestos. Exactly as per @R-fur's comments, the outer serving is tarred hessian. Its function was to cover the armour, make it smooth enough to pull through a duct and protect it to a degree against corrosion. As well as chalk some cables were whitewashed as a preservative so that can form a white powdery layer too.

Asbestos-containing materials were expensive and only used where they had some particular advantage, usually heat-resistance and high insulation, neither of which are needed here.

But yes, that earth clamp is nasty and needs looking-at.

Reply to Thoughts on DNO / Supply Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net