Discuss Water Distiller Keeps Shorting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is where I'd refer to the manufacturer's wiring diagram or the pic I took of it on my phone before I took it apart ... If you've neither then you need a way to work through this that doesn't involve a long series of bang tests. Perhaps one of the wires is now shorting out the supply, so maybe a battery and a lamp?

This is where I'd refer to the manufacturer's wiring diagram or the pic I took of it on my phone before I took it apart ... If you've neither then you need a way to work through this that doesn't involve a long series of bang tests. Perhaps one of the wires is now shorting out the supply, so maybe a battery and a lamp?

Perhaps the replacement element is duff? Put the spuds on love!

It's amazing how people think they can fix something like this without knowledge, experience and some expensive test kit that you know how to use.

What is it used for?

As suggested above you need to do a plan of the wiring and components if you don't have one and progressively test parts of it but this is going to be difficult without test equipment you cannot keep plugging it in to see if the fuse holds.

I know nothing of the internal wiring but red with black seems like a no no and the op has messed about with it.
It might be a before pic I don’t know
I thought the same but there seems to be several black lives on the micro switches.

None of the wiring has been altered since I bought it. The only time its been undone is to replace components, which I've done several times over the years, without any problems. Red to black? Agreed damned strange, but its Canadian originally - maybe that's a thing?..

Jonathon,best not to operate the equipment until the fault is sorted,you may end up roasting the switches etc if they are dead shorting
I suggest you try and firstly get hold of a wiring diagram, use your meter to trace the circuit connections to be sure they are as they should be

Jonathon,best not to operate the equipment until the fault is sorted,you may end up roasting the switches etc if they are dead shorting
I suggest you try and firstly get hold of a wiring diagram, use your meter to trace the circuit connections to be sure they are as they should be
I'm awaiting an up-to-date wiring diagram from the manufacturers, but so far some sort of short on the live seems the most likely explanation - just have to find it! And no. -I have non intention of trying to use it 'til its fixed :)

None of the wiring has been altered since I bought it. The only time its been undone is to replace components, which I've done several times over the years, without any problems. Red to black? Agreed damned strange, but its Canadian originally - maybe that's a thing?..
Before you got involved it was tripping the RCD, this would be an earth fault most likely an element which you have replaced. Now it is blowing the fuse, not the RCD. This would suggest two possibilities.
1. The original fault remains but the RCD is now Knackered.
2. There is no longer an earth fault but a dead short L-N, that would suggest the element that you have replaced was causing the earth fault but the replacement has been wrongly connected.

Reply to Water Distiller Keeps Shorting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock