Discuss Western Power massive supply fee in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have applied for a 15kva single phase supply on my site. There is a 11kV 3 phase service in the verge.
The soil is light/sandy with crops/grass.
Western Power have quoted £27,000 for a pole mounted transformer installation saying that I need to dig 135m for 3x70mm2 earth for the 11kV and 120m trench for 3x70mm2 for the LV. This equates to about 1/2 mile of copper! 780 meters!
They have not carried out soil conductivity tests.
Other supplies in the area are a good distance away as it is countryside but they seem to have an earth rod. They say that I can pay them £350 to send someone out with test equipment if I want to pay them to be able to justify their quote. They say their records show the ground as sandstone. I can't imagine what would happen if our site was only large enough for a single dwelling.
Any opinions or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Stuart

Seems about right compared to other quotes, usually not less than £17000 for a remote single phase single dwelling supply.

The others are existing supplies presumably, which wouldn't have been installed to todays standards.

Have you had a quote for water yet, or is it a spring / borehole?

Seems about right compared to other quotes, usually not less than £17000 for a remote single phase single dwelling supply.

The others are existing supplies presumably, which wouldn't have been installed to todays standards.

Have you had a quote for water yet, or is it a spring / borehole?
Thanx for the reply, given that the 11kV is right next to site I am surprised at the quote. The price is high due to 1/2 mile of earth cable being required allegedly. Water is 3k.

Earthing can be difficult and costly especially for transformers as the readings required are normally very low.

Have you been given a breakdown of the quote?

These guys are never cheap. Can you ask for a break down of the costs and ask if any of it is contestable? Sometimes they will let you do some of the work using your own contractor to their standards. They always make the final connection. At the very least I would ask them if you could do the excavations, perhaps also supply and install the earthing.

These guys are never cheap. Can you ask for a break down of the costs and ask if any of it is contestable? Sometimes they will let you do some of the work using your own contractor to their standards. They always make the final connection. At the very least I would ask them if you could do the excavations, perhaps also supply and install the earthing.
Thanx for the reply. The quote excludes excavation that I have agreed to carry out, it just seems that their stated requirement of 780 meters of earth is ridiculously long.

My understanding is a lot of this stuff is contestable works and you dont have to use western power. it may pay to get some other quotes. if these are substantially lower use them, additionally a lower quote may get western power to lower the price.

Talk to them, it sounds like they are quoting for worst case. Normally they are looking for less than 40 ohms for the HV earth and less than 20 ohms for the LV. with at least 8 meters separation between them.

Talk to them, it sounds like they are quoting for worst case. Normally they are looking for less than 40 ohms for the HV earth and less than 20 ohms for the LV. with at least 8 meters separation between them.
Thank you for the reply, they have said that if they discover the 780 m of earth is deemed over the top when on site that they will refund but I am afraid that once I accept the quote I will not see any cost cutting.

I've never seen one so high? Our spec is always at least below 10 ohms when we do these type of jobs

Why dont you have an off grid set up if it’s only for a portacabin? What is your likely load to be in the property?

Sounds like they already do that, but the equipment keeps getting nicked.

Hi,you would be as well,to go down the alternative quote route.
I cannot imagine that the supply and water,is planned solely for the quad track,and the investment,may be justified by an increase in the assets worth,and any future plans.

Reply to Western Power massive supply fee in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock