Discuss what do you call this fuse? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Engineer 54

I rang the guy who does the quotes for DNO and he says yes the policy has changed probably a month ago and they don't change cut-outs, even 80 year old ones with rewirable fuses like this one. He was very nice about it, but told me it was policy.

He did say I could try and blag it with the Supply and Installation Manager which is what I am going to try next...

Like I said if they don't change it for whatever reason just magically loose the cover to the head ;)
Then let them try and make it IP rated lol

Done the same recently to a 3phase head

They came out and replaced head the same day as it was classed as an emergency because it was dangerous!

Whack it with a wooden-handled sledge-hammer, then they'll have to replace the pieces with something decent. Come to think of it, throw the hammer at it from quite a distance. :D

I love ancient stuff like this. I often wonder how old the oldest installation still in use is? There has to be some seriously vintage stuff around still.

Well I'll keep the hammer option till I find one again. :hammer:

As I had the guy round on Monday, if it breaks tomorrow I believe they may suspect something!

Hi Engineer 54

I rang the guy who does the quotes for DNO and he says yes the policy has changed probably a month ago and they don't change cut-outs, even 80 year old ones with rewirable fuses like this one. He was very nice about it, but told me it was policy.

He did say I could try and blag it with the Supply and Installation Manager which is what I am going to try next...

I think your being told crock of crap, however nice this guy was!! lol!! I advised you to call/contact the regulatory body, not the DNO again... As this was a H&S directive taken up by the regulatory body, basically to safeguard the DNO's own staff and sub-contractors, i can't see how policies can suddenly change!!!

Hi Engineer 54.

I had a ring about but there is a limit to how much time I can spend on this. So far have been fobbed off.

I rang ombudsman http://www.ombudsman-services.org/contact-us-energy.htmland they said it was nothing to do with them, and must be a policy passed down by Ofgem consumer affairs. - not sure if that was right because this is not exactly consumer stuff.

I ran Ofgem http://www.ukenergy.co.uk/pages/ofgem.html02079017295 and their computer-thing said quite clearly they will not consider any complaint without it having passed through the supplier/DNO first and referred me straight back to DNO for policy.

I need to get on, but it's all open still.

Last edited:
I had a quick read of the ESQCR-2002 and think that the DNO Engineer maybe right. Below is an extract from the document concerning changing cast/old heads

2(3) to 2(7)
iii) Pre-1937 cut-outs with fuses in earth or neutral conductors must be removed from service by 2013.

I can't see anything else in the document regarding age of heads

The OPs picture certainly does not show a fused earth or neutral and so I suppose to the law the DNO don't have to be made to change it.

I had a quick read of the ESQCR-2002 and think that the DNO Engineer maybe right. Below is an extract from the document concerning changing cast/old heads

2(3) to 2(7)
iii) Pre-1937 cut-outs with fuses in earth or neutral conductors must be removed from service by 2013.

I can't see anything else in the document regarding age of heads

The OPs picture certainly does not show a fused earth or neutral and so I suppose to the law the DNO don't have to be made to change it.

The article i read referred to cast iron service cut outs with ceramic rewireable fuses. It seems that they had more than a few operative accidents with these things breaking apart on removing tight fitting fuse carriers... Let's face it, apart from any personal safety issues, any ceramic rewireable cut out fuse has long past it's suitability and usefulness

Sounds very similar to a C/U swap we did the other week, main fuse cover had no seal and loose - so was partly open to show a fused neutral - and a strap around the sheath which ended up testing to show no connection to any supplied earth.... Needless to say that the C/U was a complete mess in the same cupboard too small for Frodo!

I also got everything upgraded on my house a couple of months ago before I rewired, and just told them it's could possibly be a fused neutral, the guy came out and changed it no quibble for me.

Reply to what do you call this fuse? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net