Discuss Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

David916

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to add a switch that can control my bi-directional 110v motor.
I bought this joystick from Amazon but it doesn't come with instructions.
If anyhow can give me a hand, I would really appreciate it.

When I switch the Black and White wires on terminals #1 & #4, that changes the direction of the motor. Just didn't know how to wire the joystick.

Had a serious brain injury and it's hard for me to figure out new things so If you can break it down in the most simplest way possible, that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 20200704_225153.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200704_225203.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200704_225217.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 30
What do you want the joystick to do, it seems to be a 3-position thing so I guess it is something like CW-off-CCW sort of thing?

According to the Amazon page it has two normally open contacts so it cannot do the reversal of the block/blue wires directly, it would probably need a pair of relays with change-over contacts or similar to do so.

Also slightly worrying is the prospect of trying to switch the motor from full speed in one direction rapidly to full speed in the other, that will cause a lot more current to flow than the rating plat implies. Is that sort of action wanted/needed?

I built this metal roller and will use the motor to power the unit. I have a gearbox and the speed is set to 2rpm. The hydraulic jack that is pushing on the metal acts as a brake so when I let go of the switch, the motor should stop spinning. I would never switch from F to R unless the motor has stopped completely. I can return this joystick. Would you be able to recommend another one for me? I'd really appreciate it. Maybe a 4 way joystick? Don't want to do relays because it would confuse me. I was hoping there would be a joystick off the shelf with everything built in?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaIqlG1vHs8

Attachments

• 20200704_225246.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 32
Lol, not that clever if I can't even figure out how to wire a controller.
more like a joy stick ,have you told NASA you will get men to mars before Boeing considering they have stripped the max and trying to put that together still playing around making space ships ,Huston we have a problem we are off course .lol

Haha, no NASA. I build pneumatic french fry/veggie cutters, bath bomb presses, can crushers, upholstery presses, shears, hole punches... Not great with electronics

I dunno, maybe I shouldn't motorize this roller and just leave it manual...?

Here is an example of what might work in your case. But it must be stressed this is only an example and not to be considered as any sort of professional advice, etc. You must get a local electrician to advise you before proceeding as we do not know what regulations apply in your jurisdiction!

Attachments

• Example of a Motor Reversal Relay.pdf
    277.4 KB · Views: 10
There are some types of reversible AC motor configuration (often called permanent split capacitor) that have a hot input for clockwise and a hot input for anticlockwise. These are simple to reverse, since all the joystick has to do is send power to one hot or the other, therefore a single push-to-make contact for each direction is all that is needed. Motors of this type tend to have limited power and performance but are widely used for shutters, blinds, gates etc.

Your motor has one main winding and one capacitor winding and cannot be reversed in that way. The business with swapping over the black and blue wires is to reverse the polarity of the capacitor winding relative to the main winding, but it complicates the switching. You can do it as PC1966 shows, with one changeover contactor that swaps the black and blue when one direction is selected, or you can use two contactors, one for each direction, that connect them with the appropriate polarity according to which way you push the joystick.

Whilst you clearly know what you are doing, because this is a potentially hazardous machine, I agree that getting local expert advice on the safety aspects of the control would be advisable.

pc1966, that was very cool of you to go through that trouble. Ok, I'll contact Newark and a local electrician and try to set something up based on that example.

I'll keep you posted.
[automerge]1593974614[/automerge]
Ah, one last question I forgot to ask. What about a drum switch? Aren't these used to control F and R on motors?

pc1966, that was very cool of you to go through that trouble. Ok, I'll contact Newark and a local electrician and try to set something up based on that example.

I'll keep you posted.
Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Ah, one last question I forgot to ask. What about a drum switch? Aren't these used to control F and R on motors?
Yes, you could use one of them instead of the joystick (they are not so common this side of the pond it seems).

Basically the top path you would use for your line (hot) to terminal #4 of the motor, and the next two down would have the black/blue on (for example) the left pair on the switch and the right pair on the switch would go to terminals #4 and #2 to perform the winding reversal.

Also to say that Lucien point about using two contactors is more expensive, but has the major advantage that contactors are available to handle a lot more current than most relays & hand switches do, if needed.

Last edited:
Just got the better switch in the mail and ready to wire.
It's sad but I can't even remember how I used to wire it regularly.
Can someone please help me out with a drawing. Would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• motor switch wires.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 18
  • motor.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200708_200259.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.31.46 PM.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 22
Drum switch example on page 2 of updated document.

Just to reiterate what was said above, this is only an example and not to be considered as any sort of professional advice, etc. You must get a local electrician to advise you before proceeding as we do not know what regulations apply in your jurisdiction!

Attachments

• Example of a Motor Reversal Relay.pdf
    289.6 KB · Views: 12
Can you post some photos showing the actual wiring?

The lights dimming and it not tripping the breaker is a concern in any case. That is a 2.2A (running current) motor so should be on something like a 10A fuse or breaker at most. What is the supply?

Reply to Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net