Discuss 0.75mm Flex into 6A MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Have you considered the max conductor operating temperature of the flex? A lot of it is rated to only 60degrees when fixed wiring and accessories are all rated for 70degrees. Will this make any difference? I don't know, but you need to consider it

Here's a bit of relevant history
14th edition
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434751218.845910.jpg
13th edition
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434751250.148634.jpg

Any takers about my post #8 and the regs stating a minimum csa of 0.75mm for the use of flex ?

I think it's open to interpretation.
I read it as the minimum size for a lighting circuit is 1.0mm and a power circuit is 1.5mm then flexes which are not part of a such general circuits (ie appliance tails etc) are restricted to 0.75mm minimum

I didn't know one existed, it's s shame you can't get 3A breakers across the different brands, o don't know if I'd have much need for one to be honest, but then there's always that once!

For table 52.3 I would interpret this as meaning that if there is a connection to a mobile piece of equipment such that the connection needs to be flexible then 0.75mm² sheathed or non sheathed cable may be used.

I didn't know one existed, it's s shame you can't get 3A breakers across the different brands, o don't know if I'd have much need for one to be honest, but then there's always that once!

You get all different sized breakers across most decent brands. The lower sized (<6A) breakers are generally produced for panel and control applications as I understand it, they just won't be classed as 60898, or rather just 60898.

You get all different sized breakers across most decent brands. The lower sized (<6A) breakers are generally produced for panel and control applications as I understand it, they just won't be classed as 60898, or rather just 60898.

I did wander if that was the case Andy. But just had a look at the MK tech spec. See the approvals bit just below the table:

Screenshot_2015-06-19-23-51-52.jpg

I think it's open to interpretation.
I read it as the minimum size for a lighting circuit is 1.0mm and a power circuit is 1.5mm then flexes which are not part of a such general circuits (ie appliance tails etc) are restricted to 0.75mm minimum

For table 52.3 I would interpret this as meaning that if there is a connection to a mobile piece of equipment such that the connection needs to be flexible then 0.75mm² sheathed or non sheathed cable may be used.

Yep I must concur with you guys that the description in table 52.3 "for any other application" listed for flex actually should mean "for any other application than those listed above"
I have always worked to the 1mm for lighting and 1.5mm for power rule myself, just this thread prompted me to look up the table and question it. I also have never considered flex a suitable selection for fixed wiring other than for fused down circuit extensions.
Still an ambiguous table though in it's wording.

Hager actually do a large range in Type C which I suppose is quite acceptable to use on a normal circuit.

MCB 10kA & 15kA Type C MCBs

They should be available from most DB manufacturers, they won't be available for ranges exclusively intended for CUs though.

Can you use them for general/standard circuits? I see no reason why not, but undoubtedly someone will be able to come up with a reason why not.

7.5A was a reasonably common size once upon a time. I've seen a lot of 3871 MCBs in this size.

Reply to 0.75mm Flex into 6A MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net