Discuss 9W LED Cabinet Striplight in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Have I bought 4 of these and they all plug into the mains

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-y...-cabinet-striplight-cool-white-9w-562mm/4012r

I have 2 questions on these and I would be very grateful for any advice received. I have tried on Google first but cant find the answer I'm looking for

1. If these are 9 W 240 V then why is the fuse inside rated as 5amp?
I thought there was a formula for this eg. halogen light 500w divided by 240v = amp size (3amp in this case)

I'm just a newbi so thats why I dont know.

Also will a qualified electrician wire these up to my light mains switch instead of having to plug them into a socket. Screwfix says no. ( But the only reason they give is will invalidate the warranty.

Thanks again for any replies in advance. I really appreciate them all

who says they plug in?

I would expect a 3A fuse unless hundreds were linked together, but there may be a high initial surge of current they need to account for especially when lots are linked together.
It should be OK for them to be hard wired to a 6A lighting circuit unless the manufacturer instructions say otherwise, but even then fusing the lights down to 3A should be fine.

yea it bought them and have 3 pins plugs on them, It didn't say that on the box. The plugs are the same type that would plug into the side of a radio rubber with 2 pins

take them back and get a different style of fitting.

Aren't these like the rest of these types of under cabinet lights? Do the connections on the fitting look like this or similar;
IMG_2149.JPG ??

As the fittings are 220-240 V, I'd be thinking of chopping the BS1363 plug top, and wiring it into the 'mains'.

Reply to 9W LED Cabinet Striplight in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net