Discuss A little help regarding fire detection system... in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Quite common to use air sampling in bus depots, such as Vesda....the sensitivity and timing can be programmed over such a wide range.
But I think even air sampling couldn`t cope with furnaces ....

We did have detection systems. In the fuel storage and processing areas.

Coal can spontaneously combust. We had several fires in the storage bunkers where the only answer is to inject CO² or nitrogen in, water was a NoNo unless you wanted an explosion on your hands. A fire in one of the stock ground heaps took the best part of six months to put out.
The processed pulverised coal is highly explosive and was one of our biggest dangers. Just to add to the fun it would catch fire inside the mills. They were made to stand an internal explosion and had explosion doors that would blow off. Then the blanking gas would go in.

Natural gas, producer gas, diesel, coke and biomass just added to the fun and games.

It was all fairly safe once in the kiln, but I still managed to cause several explosions. Only got carted off to hospital once, a gas burner blew back in my face.

That`s interesting, especially the means of auto extingushing coal fire. Never come across furnaces before, only fuel storage, were we usually used flame detectors, to catch the early stages of ignited fuel or gas. Last flames detectors I used were terminal 5, deep down in the sumps under runway leading roads. Any fuel dump or spillage, ignited or not, is dowsed is protein foam as soon as control panel senses flame or air bound hydrocarbons. Was an interesting project.

Best thing to ever happen to a crappy protek panel!!............

yvupe8em.jpg

There is more relay ouput units, than the is inputs.....over engineer, plus a total mess...one addressable multi I/O would have done the job, very sad photo.

These days it's far better where you have a BMS system controlling the building, is to have that BMS systems fire alarm application included in the overall system package. I can remember in years gone by, complete chaos trying to get the fire alarm to talk to the BMS and visa versa, both being from different manufacturers, neither of whom willing to provide their system protocols. Thankfully that's now a thing of the past, and a distant memory worthy of forgetting!! lol!!

E54, fire alarms do not talk to BMS systems, they share no language or protocols.

A BMS system will be equipped with usually one, or more for more complex systems, I/O unit or programable interface. The cause and effects written into the fire alarms programming dictates how these units are operated and in what circumstances. These switch one or more sets of
Contacts going back into the BMS. Multiple Chanel's can be used on systems such as the gent s-quad 4 Chanel quads that can be set as relay outputs or monitored inputs, therefore giving two way communication between the two systems. And a ability to shut down certain facilities while running up others such as extract fans.

These units are addressed onto the loop and simply change state during fire conditions, no protocol required.

Maybe these days yes, but not in the 80s. Trying to integrate the fire alarm with a BMS system of different manufacturers was a nightmare, we tried just about everything even trying to use an ASCII interface nothing worked. In the end we had to dump the BMS system, no great loss as it was based on an outdated technology, ...a disaster in it's own right. So ended up with the Honeywell BMS and integrated FA system. As i remember the point number on that project was in excess of 20,000, covering just about everything associated with the needs of 4 hospital buildings with a total of 1500+ beds....

Reply to A little help regarding fire detection system... in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net