Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I worked as a science teacher for 10 years. Most labs have sockets on desks or adjacent to them. I can tell you teenagers can be just as bad as infants at poking pens, pencils, pairs of compasses etc into the sockets. In a colleague's lesson a 16 year old managed to shove a paper clip into the socket and turn it on! He was very lucky that he let go of the clip before flicking the switch. (He still got a different kind of shock!)

I have emailed the link to some of my old colleagues a link of the video.
The other half had to watch the video too (had to wait for Home and Away to finish to make sure she was paying attention!) She visits nurseries as an assessor and is going to spread the word. :21:

Top Job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder to everyone, could you all please keep banging the drum for the http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ site and campaign?

The sooner the world is rid of “childproof socket covers” the better it will be.

I’ve managed to get them banned from two health care trusts, with your help more should follow.

good for you tony i pointed 2 out at a local hospital my wife was attending these was in a play area but they just looked dumb at me

As these covers are in service equipment and plugged into BS1363 socket outlets should they be PAT tested and failed as not complying with the British Standards for design and safety

That's a great idea to keep our world free from childproof socket covers.You have done a wonderful job Tony.
It is VERY important to understand that, as our site makes clear, the FatallyFlawed campaign is intended for UK residents only! I am sure that the information we provide may also be of use in other countries which use BS 1363 sockets, notably Ireland, but is does NOT apply to any other type of socket. Socket covers can be genuinly useful in some countries, notably those whose sockets are recessed and do not have internal shutters. Maglamps, we do not want to change anything in Australia or any other part of the non-BS 1363 world!

Theses socket covers are clearly pointless, anyone with half a brain can see that, but I have no problem with people capitilising on the stupidity of neurotic idiots.

But fataly dangerous? Not so sure....
I see the point about them being inserted upside down but surely this would only be possible if the cover had only an earth pin and no L or N, which I have never seen.
To suggest that a 3 pin cover is dangerous is just nonsense if you ask me. The original article goes on a lot about how bad they are, but doesn't really say why, except that they are pointless.

Theses socket covers are clearly pointless, anyone with half a brain can see that, but I have no problem with people capitilising on the stupidity of neurotic idiots.

But fataly dangerous? Not so sure....
I see the point about them being inserted upside down but surely this would only be possible if the cover had only an earth pin and no L or N, which I have never seen.
To suggest that a 3 pin cover is dangerous is just nonsense if you ask me. The original article goes on a lot about how bad they are, but doesn't really say why, except that they are pointless.

The thing that makes me laugh is that a BC table lamp with no bulb in it is far more likely to give someone a belt than the vast majority of things ranted about on these forums (as I discovered as a 4yr old)

No, as the cover reviews on the FatallyFlawed website show, we have yet to find a socket cover which will not fit into, and stay in, a socket upside down, most have short pins which makes it easier, but even those with pins of the correct length will stay in place due to the flexibility of all socket covers, in fact the flexibilty results in a pincer action which tends to grab the socket and stay put.

Try reading the website! Upside down insertion is just one danger, allowing pins and paperclips to be inserted alongside the socket cover is another, ISODs breaking off and holding the shutter open is yet another danger, and then there is the permanent damage caused by inserting incorrectly sized objects (ie ALL socket covers) into a socket.

The thing that makes me laugh is that a BC table lamp with no bulb in it is far more likely to give someone a belt than the vast majority of things ranted about on these forums (as I discovered as a 4yr old)
Of course that is right, but what sensible parent would allow a small child to be alone in a room with a table lamp? Sockets tend to be rather more difficult to put out of the way, they are usually secured to the wall.

Can I check? Are we trying to get rid of ALL 'safety socket covers', or just those featured in the FatallyFlawed website?
Good question! FatallyFlawed is concerned about all plug-in socket covers intended for UK sockets. We have not found any which do not have at least some of the problems described. If anyone knows of a plug-in socket cover which is not shown in the cover reviews we would be pleased to hear about it.

It is theoretically possible to design a socket cover which is as safe as a plug, although it would still be unnecessary, but we do not believe any such cover is available.

There are some concerns about the type of cover which goes over the entire socket, particularly those which require a key to open and may prevent quick removal of power in an emergency, but that is not what the campaign is about.

It is VERY important to understand that, as our site makes clear, the FatallyFlawed campaign is intended for UK residents only! I am sure that the information we provide may also be of use in other countries which use BS 1363 sockets, notably Ireland, but is does NOT apply to any other type of socket. Socket covers can be genuinly useful in some countries, notably those whose sockets are recessed and do not have internal shutters. Maglamps, we do not want to change anything in Australia or any other part of the non-BS 1363 world!

Thanks for clarifying the doubt.

We were using these in our premises as we run childrens camps, came across the fatally flawed website and thought it made sense, but instead of just taking them off straight away I spoke to and sent a link to our head of safety, he read the site and basically agreed with it , result is we no longer use them, I have put a copy of his reply below
I think what you read on there is a logical and reasoned argument that seems to come to a sensible conclusion. Although they may look like a "safety improvement", when one looks closely at it there is probably no real benefit from them and, as the site points out, some apparent increase in risk. There are many aspects of safety that are like this. As they say, a socket cover provides the perfect tool to open the shutters and expose an otherwise perfectly screened live terminal.

I'd suggest that we should probably follow the advice on this site, which is linked from the fatallyflawed one. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Yourchildssafetyinthehome/DG_10038395

This says that the risk is of children plugging in an appliance that may be hazardous rather than any real risk from them poking anything into the socket, which has shutters.

I'd never really thought about this before but on balance I think my recommendation would be to follow the DirectGov advice and not to bother with socket covers but to keep appliances away fom the kids, who will I assume, also be closely supervised.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It's an interesting example of a "safety" device that isn't

baby_with_hammer.gifi will get that socket cover in the wrong way, even if it kills me.

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net