Discuss Advice needed about earthed boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Getting another EICR done might be the best way to sleep easily knowing everything is just fine. It is not that unusual to see errors being made, but equally it casts some doubts about how useful the results are. The various folk above have gone in to that in some detail.

Having near-perfect IR (insulation resistance) on an older property is quite possible, my own flat was rewired in the early 80s so around 40 years old and all but one circuit was above 1000M ohm, but one of the light circuits varies from around 200M to 800M depending on how damp it has been. But that is not always the case by any stretch so it is one of the slightly suspicious pointers as to whether it was really measured or not.

The C1/C2/C3/FI codes are all about how serious a problem is found, though FI = further investigation when it could not be determined at the time of the inspection (problem suspected but too invasive to check such as lifting floorboards, or needed access to locked areas, etc).

The Best Practice Guide #4 has a lot of information and examples of typical issues and suggested coding:

Basically it is not about whether an installation is 100% up to date, but about how much risk there is from aspects that are not as installed today. So something like old colour coded wire is not compliant but has zero impact on safety (assuming insulation OK, etc).

The guidance from BPG#4 differs slightly from some other guidance (e.g. NICEIC) but most agree it is the most appropriate starting point, however, the electrician doing the inspection is expected to apply their own judgment as some things that are not complaint will have different risks depending on the particular setup.

Folk have commented on the 100mA up-front RCD used as a main switch. That was quite common practice for a TT supply (local earth rod in the ground, no earth from the supply) but your is down as TN-S (supply has earth, separate from neutral) and it looks quite old, so I wonder if your current board might have simply replaced the configuration of a much older setup from when there was no supplier earth.

The risk here is a 100mA RCD will provide virtually no protection against electric shock, and that is why both the original report and the folks here are suggesting you get a new board fitted that has 30mA RCDs.

While it is slightly more expensive most would suggest a board using all RCBOs - these combine the over-current protection of a MCB with the shock protection of an RCD and they have the advantage over a dual RCD board that a fault on one circuit does not take out the supply to several circuits due to a shared RCD.

In reality you should not see them trip too often, but 30mA RCD are more prone to nuisance trips than other types (fuse, MCB, 100mA delay type RCDs, etc)

Reply to Advice needed about earthed boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net