Discuss Advice needed on outside lighting please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jacko

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking at doing some outside lighting around the garden.

I will have SWA running 4m underground from the garage to a weatherproof box on my fencepost.

Could I use hi tuff cable from that weatherproof box to the lights clipped direct along the back of the fence? How hard is it to terminate? Would I be able to terminate 2 cables in each lantern fitting like a normal flex?

Should I use normal flex in 20mm conduit? This would be more difficult and take longer.

Or I could run the SWA straight from the garage to a weatherproof box by each light and then terminate to the light with flex? This obviously the more time consuming and the expensive choice.

Do I need SWA underground, could I use hi tuff or flex in a ducting?

The circuit will be RCD protected because it’s outside. I’m just considering the options for mechanical protection. Thanks

What are qualifications and competence? Looked at your profile and it just shows your age?

It shows you as being in Wales so Part P might apply?? Dont know myself as I'm in Scotland but I'm sure somebody else can advise...

Or I could run the SWA straight from the garage to a weatherproof box by each light and then terminate to the light with flex? This obviously the more time consuming and the expensive choice.

I would go with this option.

Do I need SWA underground, could I use hi tuff or flex in a ducting?

Wouldn't the ducting option be more expensive than the SWA?

4 miles underground. he''ll be mining copper.

This is possibly the best choice, however EV charge point installers are using Hi Tuff cables to avoid using the PME earth, but easier to install than SWA as no banjo's to worry about.

Call me old school, but i think i would go SWA

Do you think SWA for it all is a bit over kill?

It's best for mechanical protection.
How many lights are you fitting?
What distance are they apart?
[automerge]1568382041[/automerge]
Was the trench hand dug??

Have you been watching The Great Escape too many times...?
@telectrix can be The Cooler King..

It's best for mechanical protection.
How many lights are you fitting?
What distance are they apart?
[automerge]1568382041[/automerge]

Have you been watching The Great Escape too many times...?
@telectrix can be The Cooler King..
He's to ugly to be a McQueen lookalike Spoon, now me on the other hand??

however EV charge point installers are using Hi Tuff cables to avoid using the PME earth, but easier to install than SWA as no banjo's to worry about.

We had a whole weekend conference and debate on that very subject a few weeks back. I wouldn’t mention that anymore. :)

So is the distance of 4 meters to the first light?
About 6m to the first light and the 2m to each light after it.

I was going to use swa for it all but a few other electricians said they wouldn’t bother because it’s over kill. They suggested swa to the fence and then hi tuff cable after it going to all the lights

About 6m to the first light and the 2m to each light after it.

I was going to use swa for it all but a few other electricians said they wouldn’t bother because it’s over kill. They suggested swa to the fence and then hi tuff cable after it going to all the lights

You are there. If you think hi tuff cable is suitable for the installation for the cables then use it.
I'd go with the option I quoted above in post #3, so the cables have more mechanical protection.

Take pics of where the cable run is going and where you are fitting the lights, to give us more info.

Reply to Advice needed on outside lighting please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock