• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Advice on faults and Ideas for fixes in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I didn't know that the government kept such a register, where can this be found?

Here
Home - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

The Registered Competent Person Electrical single mark and register went live on 30th June 2014 and was officially launched in Parliament on 2nd July 2014. It was created following an agreement between all Government-approved electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators in England and Wales.

The single mark and register aims to raise awareness of electrical safety in the home by simplifying the task of finding and checking a competent, registered electrician.

All electrical enterprises listed and permitted to display the mark are registered to undertake work on domestic electrical installations under the Competent Person Scheme, introduced by the Government, to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations.

These electricians meet strict qualification requirements and their work is regularly assessed by their electrical Competent Person Scheme Operator to ensure their ongoing competence. The list of Government-approved electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators, their requirements and how they are authorised can be found on the Gov.uk website.

This mark and register is open to all competent, registered electrical installers in England and Wales undertaking work for householders.

Last edited:
Thought i'd check back in with an update.

So the sparky has come back and has advised that they can heighten the plug that is low to the skirting board. Would mean pulling a board, fitting an electrical fitting/box and extending the cable from there.

In regards to the lighting, they've discussed looking at the original kitchen light wiring to see if they can spot the issue. However as the issue only happened after the works my moneys on the new switches potentially bringing an old issue to the surface. So it seems a little fruitless.

In regards to the issue of my downstairs sockets tripping due to the use of my blender, there telling me that it's likely something i should learn to live with due to having older wiring. I mentioned about completing the downstairs socket so it could be upgraded from a 16amp circuit to a 32 amp circuit but was told that it could be a lot of work and not to worry about it and maybe consider it in the future if i knocked the lounge through.

And in regards to the outdoor PIR security lighting, rather than troubleshoot the current wiring, probably best to spur off a feed from an upstairs plug socket and run the security lighting from that.

After the last visit to explain all the above to me, they also replaced my downstairs WC light (which is also connected to the extractor fan just for info) And now i find that every 1 in 10 times i turn this light on it flips my downstairs lighting circuit.

Any advice? :)

After the last visit to explain all the above to me, they also replaced my downstairs WC light (which is also connected to the extractor fan just for info) And now i find that every 1 in 10 times i turn this light on it flips my downstairs lighting circuit.
Hi - it needs testing, but sometimes this can be caused by a failing light switch’s contact bounce. Or not :) .

@Wilko - Thanks for the reply. Would this likely still be the case when using an RF light switch as opposed to a traditional mechanical switch though?

Thanks for all the replies guys it's been super helpful to hear everyones tips and opinions. I think a lot of you were in agreeance that i let the sparky advise on the fixes and give them an opportunity to rectify the situation. It dosn't seem to me that there particularly interested in troubleshooting the issues. Do you think it's time to part ways and get someone in with more experience to finish the job? And if so is anyone near my neck of the woods (Surrey) that could help?

@Wilko - Thanks for the reply. Would this likely still be the case when using an RF light switch as opposed to a traditional mechanical switch though?
Hi - you are right, RF light switch failure modes likely to be different. If this is an RF light switch that causes a trip then the receiver unit would be on the list of suspects, along with a wiring fault.

@Wilko - Yeah, That's what i thought. What's weird is that the other new switches on the same circuit have never tripped the downstairs breaker but turning on the new WC light with the new switch does. The bulb has gone from 8.5w to 24w LED (dome light) for what it's worth. I have the same setup in the upstairs bathroom and it's been solid. It feels like the new switch and light have either tapped into an existing wiring issue or tat they've been badly installed recently.

After reading the original comments I was willing to give the spark the benefit of the doubt because the work wasn't finished but the solutions they have provided for your problems are pretty poor in truth it actually sounds like they don't particularly know whay they are doing or how to go about fixing what could be a simple problem

Hi Pete - The work was done by an electrician, and they havn't yet finished the job. But i'm guessing the answers i'm likely to recieve are:

1. Can't do anything about the heightening the plug.
2. Take off all your switches and go back to how it was before.
3. Accept you can't have a light switch for your outdoor security lights.

So i'd rather get other's views ahead of time really.
The socket that your Electrician said "can't be heightened" the cables come up from the floor, correct so far? if yes is the floor a solid floor, or of wooden construction? if wooden can the boards be taken up? if yes then any decent Electrician could extend the cables under the floor using a MF JB (Maintenance Free Joint Box) doesn't sound like a difficult job. The other two faults may look serious to you but a simple fix can be found, is this Electrician a member of any of the CP Schemes, NICEIC as an example? sounds like a bit of a chancer to me.

After reading the original comments I was willing to give the spark the benefit of the doubt because the work wasn't finished but the solutions they have provided for your problems are pretty poor in truth it actually sounds like they don't particularly know whay they are doing or how to go about fixing what could be a simple problem

That's the same conclusion i've come too. I think there comfortable with the basics but not interested in scratching the surface when a problem or issue needs to be rectified. I'm now on the hunt for someone that has some troubleshooting acumen.

The socket that your Electrician said "can't be heightened" the cables come up from the floor, correct so far? if yes is the floor a solid floor, or of wooden construction? if wooden can the boards be taken up? if yes then any decent Electrician could extend the cables under the floor using a MF JB (Maintenance Free Joint Box) doesn't sound like a difficult job. The other two faults may look serious to you but a simple fix can be found, is this Electrician a member of any of the CP Schemes, NICEIC as an example? sounds like a bit of a chancer to me.

That's right the electrician has suggested after me presenting the solutions from this post that indeed the boards could be lifted and extended that way. The other 2 faults are my main concern and is really ruining as being able to enjoy our new property. The downstairs WC (With extractor fan on the circuit) tripping the downstairs lighting circuit 1 in 10 times it's turned on is a pain. And the flickering of lights on the downstairs circuit is a pain. Although i may have a solution for that.

Lastly, having no on/off switch for the security lighting is a drag as there's no way to override it when keeping it on for a prolonged period of time. (Timeguard units)

Reply to Advice on faults and Ideas for fixes in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock