Discuss Advice on testing a critical circuit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dylan

Hi guys need to pick a brain or two....

I have a test and inspection booked in for one of my customers in a few weeks, all good, however when i told them i'd be needing to have the power off at times, the issue of their server came up - it's on a UPS, but provides the webserver for their online shop, and they're none too keen on me unplugging it! When asked how long the UPS will keep it going for, the answer was 'about 10 minutes'.

Has anyone encountered anything similar and what was your solution? Tell the client it has to be switched off and it'll have to be a late one?

Run an auxiliary power supply from a neighbor or use a small, pure sine output generator to supply just the UPS whilst conducting tests.

Large IT installations would hire generators and move the supply to the UPS over to the genny prior to dropping the power. This could be feasible for your customer.

This site sounds unsophisticated and may not have their connection to the Internet covered by the UPS. So when the power goes off, the Server stays up, but customer's can't connect to it!

If they want to keep their site up:

1. have them check that the UPS is protecting every part of the I.T. infrastructure between the server and their Internet Service Provider. (Modems/Routers/Network Switches etc.)
2. have them check that the UPS works well ahead of your visit. (Many small/cheap UPS seem to fail at the first real power outage and few are tested regularly or maintained - "About 10 minutes" may just be what it said in the manual, or before they plugged lots of networking equipment into it...)
3. get them to cough up for the generator hire (incl the fuel and extension cables, and perhaps a motorcycle security chain to secure the genny if you can't keep an eye on it and they've gone home).

If they don't want to hire a genny, the server will have to be powered off. They should be easily able to work out this makes financial sense for them.

[Marvo's comment re a supply from the neighbours is a good idea, as the neigbour may need a similar favour in the future]

Also, they may be able to identify a quite period, e.g. 1am-5am, when they would loose minimal business. You will be charging them for working the unsociable hours, won't you?

Last edited:
Whatever precautions you take, make sure your covered from liability. Shut downs have to happen for things to take place. I had to install a MCB and RCM last week, but I had to arrange for a 10 minute shutdown of a whole boarding school to do it.

I would put the onus on the customer to make sure it's safe for power outages no matter what you decide. E-mail them stating power might go down and their data and IT system security is their responsibility......make sure they reply to show they're aware and in agreement. At the end of the day an electrician shouldn't be responsible for the remedy issues outside of his skill set, only for highlighting them to those concerned.

Good luck.

Reply to Advice on testing a critical circuit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net