Discuss Am I Being Ripped Off? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

F king L

That's unbelievable
Could have fitted rcbo's cheaper than that

preferrably with the cover removed.

Hi all,

Ok I have the updated invoice with me and the full break down is like this - I have put ÂŁ??? where the 'invoice' doesn't specify a cost for that item (its more like a letter than an invoice):

ÂŁ??? - Moving lights and switches, sockets as per building works**
ÂŁ??? - Changing Extract Fan and Duct**
ÂŁ??? - Updating Fuseboard as per 17.th edition of regulations
ÂŁ60 - Wiring Garage Sockets + Addtitional Socket**
ÂŁ??? - All Earthing Requirements
ÂŁ30 - Kitchen Dishwasher Socket (Spur)
ÂŁ90 - Wiring and Timer for Bathroom Heater

ÂŁ2486.00 + VAT

A picture of the fuseboard (its definitely the original housing - I can't tell if the trips have been changed or not but it certainly doesn't look any different and I know we weren't short of spaces as we didn't add anything (in fact the shower is unused) both closed and open:

fuseboard-2.jpg

fuseboard-closed.jpg

The items I've marked with a ** are basically adding four sockets (supplied by us) to an existing ring in studwork, fitting two two-gang light fittings/switches in three rooms (wiring to fuseboard already in place, half of the fittings supplied by us), fitting lights in the bathroom and switch (all supplied by us and line to fuseboard already in place) and fitting the extractor fan in the bathroom (fan supplied by us, ducting and outlet already in place).

if that's the original housing, then it's the original board. the Squre D domae boards were phased out about 12 months ago and renamed scheider. although they're still about as old stock gets used up.

Any chance you could remove the cover and sen a piccy?

Telectrix - thanks for the update! Do you have any idea what they might mean by 'all earthing requirements'?

As far as I know all the installations used existing rings (additional sockets or spurs) and tapped existing junction boxes (for the lights)

Hey Pete,

There should also be a piccy of the board with the cover removed - I'll paste again here in case I screwed it up:

fuseboard.jpg

Bob

Hi Pete,

That's weird - I can see it in both my post and in your reply above. I've added to the site two different ways and from teletrix's response I think he can see them ok. Would you mind trying a direct link for me by clicking here?

Thanks

Bob

Hi Pete,

That's weird - I can see it in both my post and in your reply above. I've added to the site two different ways and from teletrix's response I think he can see them ok. Would you mind trying a direct link for me by clicking here?

Thanks

Bob

Nope Bob only the one

How can the guy send you a breakdown without the figures for all the items?
Have you asked him when you will receive a proper breakdown?

I think Pete is asking for a pic with the cover off, so that we can see inside the unit. If you are going to do this then of course switch it off first.

we mean with the cover removed, not just the lid open.

Ah my apologies - I'll try and do that tonight.

Spoon - completely agree about the breakdown and I've asked for much more detail (the 'breakdown' I gave above is actually the second improved one).

It least now you have a format that the other electricians can then put their figures to.
Out of interest, when are you getting the other quotes?

Hi all,

Ok I have the updated invoice with me and the full break down is like this - I have put ÂŁ??? where the 'invoice' doesn't specify a cost for that item (its more like a letter than an invoice):

ÂŁ??? - Moving lights and switches, sockets as per building works**
ÂŁ??? - Changing Extract Fan and Duct**
ÂŁ??? - Updating Fuseboard as per 17.th edition of regulations
ÂŁ60 - Wiring Garage Sockets + Addtitional Socket**
ÂŁ??? - All Earthing Requirements
ÂŁ30 - Kitchen Dishwasher Socket (Spur)
ÂŁ90 - Wiring and Timer for Bathroom Heater

ÂŁ2486.00 + VAT.

I could understand ÂŁ1486.00 + VAT but not the invoice figure.

For a professional install just looking at the pen written circuits looks a bit rough ...if your going to write in pen ensure your writing it neat, concise and clear....I can barely make some of them circuits out so whether he expects you to or not ...well!... looks like Garage sockets?

For a professional install just looking at the pen written circuits looks a bit rough ...if your going to write in pen ensure your writing it neat, concise and clear....I can barely make some of them circuits out so whether he expects you to or not ...well!... looks like Garage sockets?

A bit like the upside down and slanted danger label.....

Hey everyone!

So as to close off this discussion - I spoke to the contractor this weekend. While I'm not completely happy with the way he went about things, he did confirm that additional work was done that wasn't listed on the invoice (and showed me) as well as providing a discount off the total so for the sake of keeping the peace, we're going to settle the bill. I also advised that he needs to create more detailed invoices, etc.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice, we would have just paid it and no questioned it at all without the help here!

Reply to Am I Being Ripped Off? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net