Discuss Another van broken into. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Remember the days when funeral notices in the papers had address of deceased, and scumbags robbed the house while the family were paying their last respects?
If you rob people of their living,of their family memories, you are SCUM!
Aye, as Rab C Nesbitt used to say...just scum...scum, and more scum

It is a serious problem across all manufacturers, I have been done 3 times in 20 years all different vans and all a piece of ---- to get into. Even some aftermarket locks are not worth what they cost and are off in seconds.
But it makes money for manufacturers if they have to keep selling you new locks, handles and replacement panels, and the insurance companies make money from it! And the thieves are making their bit! Wait a minute us hard working ones are being screwed from every angle!
Something major needs to change!!

A late friend was a self employed chippy by trade. His van needed more than just "a ford key" to get into it. Back door secured with one of those security hasps using a padlock that's recessed to make it hard to get to with cutting gear. Side door secured with a lump of chain inside popped through a hole in the internal timber bulkhead so it could be secured above the passenger seat with a good padlock.
OK, easily defeated if you can get into the front and have bolt cutters with you - but that's another level of bother and risk for the b'stards (carrying around bolt cutters isn't something you can easily explain away).
And perhaps consider a strongbox of some sort inside the van to add another level of protection. For the latter, a VERY loud siren so that if someone is tampering with it, they'll find it very uncomfortable trying to work inside a tin box with a loud siren going off ;)

Electrify the van, as previously mentioned

I like that idea, I've never had a sign written van, not needed to but if I did it would say biohazard or a big radioactive waste sticker on it or best of all mortuary! No even stupid person would try and get in any of those:)

You'd be surprised at the opposite, NHS vans, biohazard disposal companies and radioactiv waste handlers often get targetted by "dirty bomb" makers etc

The police don't want to be dealing with crap like that either, but today's society is easily offended and there are plenty of lawyers who are all over it unfortunately.
Let today's society be easily offended then. Who cares?

People are being knifed to death on British streets in broad daylight. People are being robbed in the driveways of their homes and even inside their homes by violent criminals who are taking advantage of a lack of police, not to mention tradesmen trying to earn an honest living having their businesses disrupted and livelihoods threatened by psychopathic thieves. Investigation of these crimes is where the police should be focusing their limited manpower, ..... oops ..... sorry ..... personpower .... time and resources. Several senior police officers are also of this opinion:

Philip Flower is absolutely correct when he says it is criminal that the Metropolitan Police is giving up on burglars but has 900 'anti-hate experts' on its payroll. My complaint lies not with rank-and-file police officers, but against the politicians who introduced the legislation that gave rise to the policing of "hate speech" in the first place.
If you're not sure what sort of stuff the police do and the people they come face to face with then I suggest you do a few weeks as a special and then report back.
I'm well aware of the inherent dangers involved with police work. Several of my immediate family and extended family are police officers as are some of my customers. All agree that police resources being directed towards the monitoring and investigation of "hate speech" isn't a very effective way of tackling the unacceptably-high levels of violent crime and theft that is commonplace in Britain today.
You will not be sat looking at Facebook and twitter crime belive me. Despite what some people reckon on Facebook etc.
Some police officers are obviously sitting at a screen somewhere examining posts that have made on 'social media'. How else would they able to arrest people for online "hate speech" if they didn't first read the supposed "hate speech" online?
Rant over and no offence intended.
No offence taken. Offending me would require monumentous effort and a considerable amount of patience. And even if you were to succeed, I still wouldn't report you to the police for "hate speech". :)

Remember the days when funeral notices in the papers had address of deceased, and scumbags robbed the house while the family were paying their last respects?
If you rob people of their living,of their family memories, you are SCUM!
Aye, as Rab C Nesbitt used to say...just scum...scum, and more scum

yes I have a mate that does Steel frame buildings who had his van broken into and vault broken open, all his kit was gone, that was in a hotel car park with cctv and they got a van coming into the car park and park next to his van sliding door to sliding door. They were there 12 minutes in total. Van vault lid looked like a crumpled piece of paper, they think that some sort of hydraulic jaw was used to force either side of the lock till it bent and gave up!
Van was on false plates and you didn't see anyone get out of it as it was all done from the sliding door, proper criminals!

Apparently they were in the van in seconds (Ford transit) didn't set the alarm off or anything so quite happily got on with the vault hampered by someone hearing the alarm. 12 mins is pretty fast they must of been good at it, God only knows how many vans they could of done in a night at that pace!

Could mig-welding loops onto either side of the vans sliding doors, with 3 different makes of padlocks going through each loop prevent it? I swear i saw something like that on the back of Vauxhall combo van once.:cool:

Best bet it to whittle your tools down into something that can be wheeled into your house.
I do take all my tools out every night a pain I know but it's the only way!

I totally agree. Doesn't take long to move them in and out once you have them condensed down into boxes and bags. I reckon a wheeled trolley system would be best for this job, But I manage with a couple of toolboxes and a couple of bags.

Sad to say but if you want to keep your tools these days you've got to look after them. Plenty of daylight robberies to vans too in problem areas so sometimes you just won't win.

I understand that if you fix a van vault to the deck, they have more chance of using an hydraulic jack on the lid. Then again, if you don't bolt it down they will remove it all in one. Not sure what the answer is there?

I know someone who had his van set on fire, if they cant get in or get van vault open they will just set it on fire haha! Not funny in that sense but funny is the sense enough to make you go mad!

Reply to Another van broken into. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net