Discuss Apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It has been sugested to me in another thread that I might not be suitable to train an apprentice.Just wondered what opinions are?

Some Background. I am a Electrical Trainee, been doing this for about 2.5 years. When I started I very quickly realised that I could get a lot more work completed if I had a helping hand. I have had a couple of different lads help on odd jobs here and there. About a 18 months ago this lad started helping me on a more regular basis. Now the local colleges round here take on the lads without them doing official apprenticeships. The lad who helps me told me that only one on his course was on an apprenticeship.

My lad had help a spark out for about year before the spark changed to subbying and laid him off. The lad had no onsite experience for a year or so and then I had him help me. Now he has his last year to do where he has to do examples of jobs (with photos), the details of which we are waiting for. The college have found someone who will the do the commercial/ industrial type jobs. They are happy for the lad to do the rest with me.

The thing is, to do the last year he has to be employed as an apprentice. I dont really want to employ him but if I dont, he wont be able to finish his qualifications and will end up quitting. Maybe I am a soft touch but I will take him on so he can get his C&G qual.

So back to the original question, do you think I am suitable to train an apprentice, or should I show him the door and get help from someone else. This wouldnt be difficult, I get at least 4 phone calls/letters a month from lads looking for help/experience.

Interestingly the lad told me that a lot of the guys on his course quit to get non electrical jobs, and he only knows 2 that are still trying to finish

Just let me get this straight...

Colleges are getting the students on full time education, then farming them off to as many employers in different fields as possible willy-nilly just so they can do the NVQ3 and pass all the modules? Can't be very settling for the apprentices, going off with different people all the time.

How times have changed.

Electrical Trainee or 4 year apprenticeship, in my eyes as long as you teach him properly then do it! Some people hate Electrical Trainee , some for obvious reasons, but some just for the fun of it! if you are a good craftsman and Apply the trade properly then Youre as good as Any one else To teach the lad!

You won't be able to provide him with the variety of work he needs to carry out; A. for his potfolio, and B. for as solid start as possible in the industry. Neither (I assume [because I don't yet know you]) will you be able to give him the depth of electrical, scientific and mathematical knowledge he needs as a firm foundation to build upon throughout the rest of his career.

I mean this with the greatest of respect my friend. I am not Electrical Trainee bashing here, just looking out for what I think is best for an apprentice.

Just let me get this straight...

Colleges are getting the students on full time education, then farming them off to as many employers in different fields as possible willy-nilly just so they can do the NVQ3 and pass all the modules? Can't be very settling for the apprentices, going off with different people all the time.

How times have changed.

Even in a firm its rare if you get a mentor now adays.

You have to learn to do things fice different ways because they all want you to do it different as well

Electrical Trainee or 4 year apprenticeship, in my eyes as long as you teach him properly then do it! Some people hate Electrical Trainee , some for obvious reasons, but some just for the fun of it! if you are a good craftsman and Apply the trade properly then Youre as good as Any one else To teach the lad!

You can be a Electrical Trainee that's worked as a labourer or a mate for 30years - and in which case, yes you'll know your stuff. But that's a minority im afraid.

THe OP himself has said he's only worked for 2.5 years ... which is less than the 4year apprentership. So IMO I don't think the OP should be training the lad...but what am i to say, the OP is his own man and will do what he wants anyway regardless of what's said on here.

some firms put (or used to) new apprentices with/under instruction of other 'not fully time served' apprentices. what will this lad do without employment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc123, the colleges are taking them on for 1 day a week and telling the lads to go find an apprenticeship and/or get some experience thus the high drop out rate. However with this approach, I guess they are still getting their money! I do feel sorry for the lads. Only last week I had a lad nearly begging me to take him on to finish his last year.

To my lad, I take the time to explain what we are doing, the regs etc however by doing mainly domestic/ light commercial, I am limited on what I can teach him. However the college have found someone with whom he can do the practical bits on the industrial side.

So do think I should tell him, "sorry mate, cant take you on to finish your course" in which case it is highly likely he will end up quitting sparkying or do I take him on.

Marc123, the colleges are taking them on for 1 day a week and telling the lads to go find an apprenticeship and/or get some experience thus the high drop out rate. However with this approach, I guess they are still getting their money! I do feel sorry for the lads. Only last week I had a lad nearly begging me to take him on to finish his last year.

To my lad, I take the time to explain what we are doing, the regs etc however by doing mainly domestic/ light commercial, I am limited on what I can teach him. However the college have found someone with whom he can do the practical bits on the industrial side.

So do I tell him, "sorry mate, cant take you on to finish your course" in which case it is highly likely he will end up quitting sparkying or do I take him on.

What happened to the full time course they used to offer for 2years at 5days a week ? Do they not do that anymore ?

Do what you gotta do ! You're the only person that can, and will make the decision regardless of the input on here. Only you know whether it's fair to take the lad on or not.

Electrical Trainee - "Do you think I'm suitable to take on an apprentice?"

Spark 1 - "No"

Spark 2 - "No"

Spark 3 - "No"

Electrical Trainee - "I am going to take him on"

Seriously, what was the point of this thread?

actually it wasnt like that, it was

Spark1 no
Spark2 if you are good enough (which to a lot of you means no)
spark3 no

Electrical Trainee I am not going to be the cause of this lad leaving the industry, I am going to give him a chance!

The point of the thread is to find out what various opinions are!

This is going to sound incredibly bitchy, but ...

Imagine if you take him on, he passes his college qualifications ... then, something does come out of Damian's campaign. And then he has to take you on as his apprentice...

Imagine if you take him on, he passes his college qualifications ... then, something does come out of Damian's campaign. And then he has to take you on as his apprentice...

I dont think its bitchy. It made me smile. Then hopefully he would give me the chance like I am going to give him :)

I guess I got to hope for grandad rights if the campaign is successful else my lad will be telling me what to do

actually it wasnt like that, it was

Spark1 no
Spark2 if you are good enough (which to a lot of you means no)
spark3 no

Electrical Trainee I am not going to be the cause of this lad leaving the industry, I am going to give him a chance!

The point of the thread is to find out what various opinions are!

Okay we're arguing semantics here. Like I said, I'm not Electrical Trainee bashing and I stand by what I say in my first post, however what I find ridiculous is you come on here to ask for advice and then do the complete opposite anyway?

My point is, why bother asking in the first place? You already had it in your head that you were going to take him on before you even posted!

It has been sugested to me in another thread that I might not be suitable to train an apprentice.Just wondered what opinions are?

Some Background. I am a Electrical Trainee, been doing this for about 2.5 years. When I started I very quickly realised that I could get a lot more work completed if I had a helping hand. I have had a couple of different lads help on odd jobs here and there. About a 18 months ago this lad started helping me on a more regular basis. Now the local colleges round here take on the lads without them doing official apprenticeships. The lad who helps me told me that only one on his course was on an apprenticeship.

My lad had help a spark out for about year before the spark changed to subbying and laid him off. The lad had no onsite experience for a year or so and then I had him help me. Now he has his last year to do where he has to do examples of jobs (with photos), the details of which we are waiting for. The college have found someone who will the do the commercial/ industrial type jobs. They are happy for the lad to do the rest with me.

The thing is, to do the last year he has to be employed as an apprentice. I dont really want to employ him but if I dont, he wont be able to finish his qualifications and will end up quitting. Maybe I am a soft touch but I will take him on so he can get his C&G qual.

So back to the original question, do you think I am suitable to train an apprentice, or should I show him the door and get help from someone else. This wouldnt be difficult, I get at least 4 phone calls/letters a month from lads looking for help/experience.

Interestingly the lad told me that a lot of the guys on his course quit to get non electrical jobs, and he only knows 2 that are still trying to finish
and herein lies the epic fail..(sorry Biff)...

a `helping hand`?...lol...

One way of keeping the firm going......in a roundabout sort of way.

Reply to Apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net