Discuss Apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Okay we're arguing semantics here. Like I said, I'm not Electrical Trainee bashing and I stand by what I say in my first post, however what I find ridiculous is you come on here to ask for advice and then do the complete opposite anyway?

My point is, why bother asking in the first place? You already had it in your head that you were going to take him on before you even posted!

My apologises. I didnt word my original post correctly. Yes I have decided to take him on so he can finish his courses. I am interested in what others thought. My business head says to tell him I am not going to take him on but I feel bad about this. I dont really want to be part of this merry go round of lads starting to learn electrical work and then having to quit.

It has been sugested to me in another thread that I might not be suitable to train an apprentice.Just wondered what opinions are?

Some Background. I am a Electrical Trainee, been doing this for about 2.5 years. When I started I very quickly realised that I could get a lot more work completed if I had a helping hand. I have had a couple of different lads help on odd jobs here and there. About a 18 months ago this lad started helping me on a more regular basis. Now the local colleges round here take on the lads without them doing official apprenticeships. The lad who helps me told me that only one on his course was on an apprenticeship.

My lad had help a spark out for about year before the spark changed to subbying and laid him off. The lad had no onsite experience for a year or so and then I had him help me. Now he has his last year to do where he has to do examples of jobs (with photos), the details of which we are waiting for. The college have found someone who will the do the commercial/ industrial type jobs. They are happy for the lad to do the rest with me.

The thing is, to do the last year he has to be employed as an apprentice. I dont really want to employ him but if I dont, he wont be able to finish his qualifications and will end up quitting. Maybe I am a soft touch but I will take him on so he can get his C&G qual.

So back to the original question, do you think I am suitable to train an apprentice, or should I show him the door and get help from someone else. This wouldnt be difficult, I get at least 4 phone calls/letters a month from lads looking for help/experience.

Interestingly the lad told me that a lot of the guys on his course quit to get non electrical jobs, and he only knows 2 that are still trying to finish

More strings to the Electrical Trainee's bow...how to shoot the electrical trade through the heart.

My apologises. I didnt word my original post correctly. Yes I have decided to take him on so he can finish his courses. I am interested in what others thought. My business head says to tell him I am not going to take him on but I feel bad about this. I dont really want to be part of this merry go round of lads starting to learn electrical work and then having to quit.

The problem is he aint gonna learn what he needs to from you anyway. If you genuinely want to help the lad, do what you can to see that he finds a more suitable placement! :)

The problem is he aint gonna learn what he needs to from you anyway. If you genuinely want to help the lad, do what you can to see that he finds a more suitable placement! :)
Totally agree, but they don't seem to be there, these days.
Got a seminar on thursday pm with the local council re privately owned house work. It's not my scene, as a rule, but there may be some testing or commercial so trying keeping my foot in the door. It'll be interesting to see what sort of contractors they're looking to employ and at what cost. I hope it's not gonna scare me.

ps. like Glenn's video scares me.

Last edited:
TOPPOP: ABC - Poison Arrow - YouTube

check the suit...

and the intro...

Is that you Glenn? Gold suit, dancing like a maniac? :D

poison arrow.png

Gold suit and maniac dancing ?

Hmm - Glenn more strikes me as the 'stalk and pork' type...hahaha

- find the drunkest girl in the bar and dive in ... no maniac dance moves needed.

:leaving:

Gold suit and maniac dancing ?

Hmm - Glenn more strikes me as the 'stalk and pork' type...hahaha

- find the drunkest girl in the bar and dive in ... no maniac dance moves needed.

:leaving:
my cousin lives in Hull....

theres nothing nice about the place at all.....apart from.....TOWER FOR AN HOUR...

yep...within an hour....

Reply to Apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net