Discuss Bad Shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I wish you all the best with your recovery, I hope you will be back to normal very soon. Good luck, nasty thing to happen.

I agree: get photographs of what is there now, as soon as possible, get some one out there, record anything you can, photos, cables, labels, walls everything.
Write out a statement of what happened to you as you have done here and keep a record of it with dates and times.

This will stand you in good stead later.

However that said if more than one year has passed since the CU change then this may be outside times for action wrt The building act.
There is very little chance that you would be able to sue the previous contractor if the tests were OK, since inspection of a circuit is not required for a CU change.
One could also say that this was natural deterioration of the installation that has only been identified now (by you).

But still it is worth inquiring of a solicitor what actions are possible, and I wish you luck with your success.

Sorry to hear about your injury mate, ive been in a loft and put my hand on a live un-terminated cable under insulation, but fortunately I tripped the RCD as as I crushed the cores together (old T +E) If nothing else you have reminded me to be extra vigilant. Cant offer anymore than has already been written. Hope your recovery is swift.

I don't think you have got much chance of success with your claim against the previous home owner or the company that carried out the EICR

Text Taken From EICR Form

It should be noted that cables concealed within trunking and conduits, under floors, in roof spaces, and generally within the fabric of the building or underground, have not been inspected unless specifically agreed between the client and inspector prior to the inspection.

If the tests completed at the time of the board swap indicated that all was ok then that was the limit of the inspection. I don't know of anybody who would go into a loft and move floor boarding or thermal insulation to visually inspect cables

IMO the only claim you have is against the current home owner as an EICR is as good as a MOT in that at the time of inspection it was ok with no warranty given in the 12 month's since the EICR was carried out other influences could have caused the damage you inadvertently found

^^^^......and me....^^^^
Is everyone on here saying they inspect every inch of cable on an install when they do a CU change?.....It's a CU change,if it included an EICR there might be a claim.
A close inspection of the EIC for the CU change is needed before jumping to conclusions.

Hope you get well soon BTW.

Here's a thought...(I'm assuming the cable in the loft, with no earth, the insulation was so degraded it crumbled in Frosty's hand)
The person who did the CU change could well have carried out a global L&N to E IR test and it passed.
Because the suspect cable has no Earth, the test wouldn't have picked up on it.
So you could argue the CU installer is not at fault.
However, a L to N IR test would possibly have indicated a fault.

Anyway, I hope your burns are not too bad, horrible injuries.
Get well soon!

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice and get well wishes. My friend rewired the lighting today so atleast its all safe for my other mate who owns the house now. He got lots of pictures etc and has flagged up a huge list of problems with the D/B which I will get off him and post on here to see what people think, I don't hold out much hope of someone getting blamed but the only sticker on the D/B is the generic periodic assessment one that comes with every board so i think either the last owner or a friend has done it.
Even if my post shocks (pardon the pun) people into being a bit more careful then hopefully thats a few more genuine people that don't go through that kind of experience.

Here's a thought...(I'm assuming the cable in the loft, with no earth, the insulation was so degraded it crumbled in Frosty's hand)
The person who did the CU change could well have carried out a global L&N to E IR test and it passed.
Because the suspect cable has no Earth, the test wouldn't have picked up on it.
So you could argue the CU installer is not at fault.
However, a L to N IR test would possibly have indicated a fault.

Anyway, I hope your burns are not too bad, horrible injuries.
Get well soon!
well if he`s just done a `limited` IR test on a board change.....then he wants his arse kickin in.....

I hate electric shocks, and i really do sympathize with you but....
This all seems a bit of: 'Well, I've just been shafted near to death, but I'm alright now, I've got the lads in to clear away the evidence. so lets see who we can sue'

Also, it does sounds as though your heart went briefly into fibrillation for a while and somehow came back into correct operation - you lucky bugger !

I would like to know, since this is a registered hospital incident and now made public through this forum, that the H&SE hasn't been informed.

I appreciate that the incident didn't happen on works time and may not involve an action under HASAWA or EAWR. But it may come under the Building Control regs. and as this is a regulatory document, it should have been reported by somebody (hospital no doubt).

I would think maximum publicity through various interested agencies who would be more than happy to invest in pursuing any culpable parties using the incident as an example of a near miss might be expedient...

You need to settle down for a while and recuperate and take time off any work activities just in case. Possibly register for short term sickness benefit if you are employed.

Reply to Bad Shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net