Discuss Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some quotes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some qu

I think a lot of people on here have given you good honest advice and you are taking their advice the wrong way. You only have to read back the thread and the wealth of information and time given to you. The truth is not always what you want to hear.

I have been listening 100%, which part do you feel I am not listening to or taking the wrong way? I have had 5 local people out to quote on site all have returned in the 12-15k range. I have ensured the quotes are with licence asbestos companies safety equipment and a structural survey will be undertaken before hand.

again I was not expecting to be attacked for asking for equipment advice. thank you to those who have helped me.

Re: Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some qu

Thats sounds a bit bitter, I am not going to resort to a defensive retaliation but I can read between the lines of your post.

Forums are a way communicating with each other, of spreading knowledge and helping each other out using expertise and experience. I am a new member of this forum but most forums are driven by the pleasure others receive helping people out. It would appear others on her are more in tune with this, and are not mealy picking up leads.

In this market of poor customer knowledge and quality variation there is high risk for the customer. Customer satisfaction, confidence and experience is the difference that separates sellers.

If I had the time I would look through you other posts on other areas of this forum and see if this was a one off comment or if you fit more into the sales only catogory

Thank you to all those who are / have helped me by sharing their wisdom

You said it yourself - you're just not prepared to pay for customer satisfaction, confidence and experience. You appear to want the Rolls Royce experience for the Lada price.

Sales category :rofl: I am however, happy to add you to my client list for consultancy but I suspect you're not happy to pay my prices.

Okay, from the Canadian Solar option with Power One inverter for your location I get a yield of 3,650kWh

For the Mistubishi option with Fronius IG TL 36 inverter, I get a yield of 3,590kWh

To be honest, at a price of £6k I'd be very worried on a straightforward domestic install. For that price on your install I would say there must be something rotten in Denmark.

TT means Terra-terra and it is basically a description of your earthing arrangement. You will find that you have a high external impedance on this kind of install which means that they are often not a good idea for transformerless inverters.

One last thing I would mention is that you shouldn't underestimate the value of a good survey with a good design.

Thank you very very much that was really useful.

I have not gone with the cheapest 6k quote as the equipment offered was not "very good" imho and they appeared to be on their last legs trying to off load.
I am looking at slightly more £6750 inc all extras.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you very very much that was really useful.

I have not gone with the cheapest 6k quote as the equipment offered was not "very good" imho and they appeared to be on their last legs trying to off load.
I am looking at slightly more £6750 inc all extras.

£6,750 inclusive of VAT? Out of interest, how long is the cable run and what size cable are they using?

You said it yourself - you're just not prepared to pay for customer satisfaction, confidence and experience. You appear to want the Rolls Royce experience for the Lada price.

Sales category :rofl: I am however, happy to add you to my client list for consultancy but I suspect you're not happy to pay my prices.

To take your car analogy further, Would I buy a skoda over a VW (a skoda in a dress) then yes I would. Would I buy my Skoda online or pay dealer price YES. Would I buy a LADA no. I am sorry you find me frustrating I am a awkward customer I know what I want and what I am prepared to pay for this.

£6,750 inclusive of VAT? Out of interest, how long is the cable run and what size cable are they using?

I am lead to believe VAT is minimal on domestic installation? but yes inc

One is already there and ok for 4 kw and the other will be required

I know what I want and what I am prepared to pay for this.

I beg to differ - you don't know what you want otherwise you wouldn't be on the forum. I agree, you do know what you're prepared to pay. You keep a car for 2 - 5 years if you make a mistake it's easy to sort. You're talking about a 40-50 year investment for less than the price of a car you'd keep for 3 - 5 years.

I am lead to believe VAT is minimal on domestic installation? but yes inc

One is already there and ok for 4 kw and the other will be required

Well it's about £330 which is a pretty hefty chunk.

What size is the existing cable? And what length? The reason I ask is that volt drop is a big issue with PV systems and it is regularly misunderstood.

Also, is the cable supplying other circuits in the barn?

I beg to differ - you don't know what you want otherwise you wouldn't be on the forum. I agree, you do know what you're prepared to pay. You keep a car for 2 - 5 years if you make a mistake it's easy to sort. You're talking about a 40-50 year investment for less than the price of a car you'd keep for 3 - 5 years.

I do know what i want "a good quality installation using good equipment" I needed advise about what makes a good installation and what is good equipment which is why I approached this forum.

I keep cars (I love Cars) and always look at them as a long term item and ensure I buy the best quality I can afford but with cars I know what quality is and where to look for problems.

I appreciate I started looking for a price but then realized it was more complex story which is where the advice side fitted in.

Thats sounds a bit bitter, I am not going to resort to a defensive retaliation but I can read between the lines of your post.

Forums are a way communicating with each other, of spreading knowledge and helping each other out using expertise and experience. I am a new member of this forum but most forums are driven by the pleasure others receive helping people out. It would appear others on her are more in tune with this, and are not mealy picking up leads.

In this market of poor customer knowledge and quality variation there is high risk for the customer. Customer satisfaction, confidence and experience is the difference that separates sellers.

If I had the time I would look through you other posts on other areas of this forum and see if this was a one off comment or if you fit more into the sales only catogory

Thank you to all those who are / have helped me by sharing their wisdom

Only you is going down the cheapo road, anyone can take the advice from the forum but your not using a forum member someone who cares. You mentioned 2 big company's they don't normally care so you will be on your own with them.

Only you is going down the cheapo road, anyone can take the advice from the forum but your not using a forum member someone who cares. You mentioned 2 big company's they don't normally care so you will be on your own with them.

Sorry I have bitten.

Thats fine, I am sure you also get offered two items that are near identical and you always choose to pay an extra £2k. Installing has given you a different prospective on the money, please may I be your shopping advisory and take a 2k commission on your next few purchases then my perspective of money may change also.

To be fair, Exon, there are plenty of customers that come onto this forum worrying about the quality of their install - there are a plenty of poor installers out there.

I like to think that our service is of a high standard. To install at the prices that you have been quoted I would have to cut corners - it is as simple as that and I can't see any good reason why it should be different for anyone else.

Of course, it may well be the case that you have hit a bargain and the firm is preparing to carry out an immaculate installation.

Exon

Listen to what posts have been put on here the 6k quote is to cheap simple as tthat pal there is even asbestos to deal with which you can't get sorted cheaply and I don't need to have anyone on board cause we don't carry anyone either but thanks for the idea.

Just to add we are all mcs registered operatives on this forum and have paid thousands to be in the right situation to offer our services, if you have questions to ask go back to the 2 compnays for the advice as 1 or the other will be doing your installation for you

Following the thread with interest. I don't want to get drawn in but I will simply say that we've never done a "simple" domestic 4kWp installation for under £7k and we're in the north. It's difficult to believe that your job with its many additional complications can be done that cheaply without cutting corners both with regards to quality and safety. The installation company needs to make some sort of profit otherwise it won't be around to honour its warranty!

As I've said in other posts big company's come and go within months
us here are finding we are picking up the peices from others who have disappeared.we want the full installations not the crappy putting it right jobs

so for completeness of this post. Systems are up and running and has made 660kw each over last 45 days (I am sure some will tell me that is poor) but I am happy and the cost was a little over 6k per system. (looks like tesco are offering the same price also now). again thank you for the support and help offered.

Reply to Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some quotes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock